cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 250D Freezes when taking a picture

Stanjans
Contributor

Hello, i've had my EOS 250D for two weeks now. Since today when I click the shutter button the screen goes black and the red "writing to sd card" light goes on, it takes 10 seconds to 10+ minutes for it to reset. Afterwards the photo is not on the SD card. Videos still do work.

Nothing weird happened that could cause this, last week I had the same issue but it fixed itself after an hour or so. It now has already been 5+ hours sadly.

Is there anyone that has experienced this before that knows how to fix this?

17 REPLIES 17

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What specific card are you using? Hopefully it's a full-sized SD card (micro cards with adapters can cause numerous issues).

Peek inside the card slot to see if there's any damage or corrosion to the connectors.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

SanDisk SDXC Extreme 64GB 170mb/s, i've formatted it and I bought it new for this camera. The connectors seem fine, I have only inserted it 2 weeks ago and never touched it since today. So sadly it's not that 😞

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Have you formatted the SD Card before first use in the camera. If NOT it could cause the problem that you're describing. Also @rs-eos pointed out that using Micro SD Cards in an adapter cause these problems too. In this case use a Full sized SD. Canon cameras DO NOT like Micro SD Cards in an adapter.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Yes I have, it was a brand new SD card

Was the SD Card formatted in the camera also is it a full sized card. What size is it too 8GB, 16GB, 32GB etc. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Refer to the OP's earlier reply: "SanDisk SDXC Extreme 64GB"

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

That card may be too big for there camera. I know that lower end cameras rebel, XXXXD, XXXD don't like cards larger than 32GB SDHC. Even though the manual states otherwise. I posted my response before OP responded. That's why I asked for the card size.

-Demetrius

Thanks for the idea, i'll try a 32GB one tomorrow!

It was indeed formatted, full size and 64GB

Announcements