cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 2000D Product registration

Wickedwitch
Apprentice

I was trying to register my eos 2000d bought from Walmart. I live in us but evidently didn’t get a us product. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 2000D is not a model sold in the USA. You would not be able to register it with Canon USA? 

Return it.  Did you buy it at a Walmart box store, or online?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you. I ordered online from Walmart in December 2021.

@Wickedwitch wrote:

Thank you. I ordered online from Walmart in December 2021.

Not every item for sale on the Amazon Marketplace comes from Amazon.  The Best Buy and Target online marketplaces are same way.  I’ve never used Walmart, but I suspect their online marketplace allows outside vendors, too.

I suspect that your purchase was a “grey market” camera.  This means it was a camera intended for sale outside of the US, but is is sold in the US at an apparent discount over regular list prices.  These usually come bundled with a menagerie of bonus items in a bundled package.

Make a long story short.  I think you have a camera that cannot be regeistered for a warranty.  You may also run into issues getting it repaired by Canon USA.  

The camera bodies contain firmware and some parts that may be different from those sold in the US.  For example, not every country operates Wi-Fi in the same frequency bands.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

amfoto1
Authority

Waddizzle is correct... Many items on Walmart website are actually being offered by independent "sellers" (much like Amazon, etc.)

The EOS 2000D is only sold outside N. America. Here it is designated as an EOS Rebel T7.

Therefore what you got is definitely "gray market". That means the seller purchased it overseas and unofficially imported it. It wasn't imported via Canon USA and the seller may or may not be an authorized Canon retailer. The reason people do this has to do with monetary exchange rates... they can buy things a little cheaper overseas and then be able to offer them a little cheaper than the price authorized dealers have to offer normally imported items.

This doesn't mean the camera isn't essentially the same. It is. The menu might be in another language, but that can be changed pretty easily with a free firmware update.

The main thing is that gray market items have no warranty, which is one of the primary purposes of registering the product with the manufacturer. If anything goes wrong with the camera you will need to deal with the seller. You will not be able to register it with Canon USA, however Canon USA's service dept. will fix it if needed, but it will be at your expense.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Announcements