cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1D Mark IV Confusion about focus points

Doormat
Apprentice

Last year I bought a used boxed 1div (124K shutter count) one owners from new. Cosmetically it looks amazing, can not find a blemish anywhere. 

ok, love the ergonomics. But the viewfinder AF points only lights up in single centre spot or if I move the spot around. If I select all AF points, the camera focuses but doesn’t show in the viewfinder - hence I’ve no idea where it’s focusing!! Sometimes I can see where it has, other times my eye is wandering around the viewfinder trying to see what’s in focus.

Is this how the 1div was designed? If so it’s rubbish. Also the centre AF spot is huge, so often misses what I’m trying to focus on. 

My 5diii by comparison has awesome viewfinder information - I see instantly via red AF boxes what the camera is focused on.

Anybody care to comment?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you download a PDF copy of the full User’s Guide.  The AF point display can be disabled   The previous owner may turned it off. 

I suggest that you spend 15 minutes going through every menu item and resetting the menu items that give you the option. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Vulture678
Apprentice

Check to make sure you haven't set your AF point to automatic.  Press on the AF point selection button on the top right (has the positive magnify glass icon under it) and see if you have that set to Automatic Selection.  If that is the case, it won't show any selected AF points.  Otherwise, you will have to go into your Custom Function menu  (C.Fn lll Autofocus Drive) and check your autofocus settings.  I hope that helps as I am new to learning this camera as well, so it's just a suggestion you can try and see if it makes a difference.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Whenever you buy a used camera the very first thing you do it reset it clear all of the previous owners settings. Do this before you do anything else. Make sure the copyright info is changed to you and not still the previous owner.

"I suggest that you download a PDF copy of the full User’s Guide."

The 1d Mk IV is a very complex camera and you will not know how it works or how to set things if you don't have and read the manual. It is a great camera and the last of the H sensor models. 1:3 crop ratio.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the replies 

I did as you advised and reset. 
The AF box now lights up but only in single shot not in AiServo. As I recall that’s how early canons were?

I’ve paired it with a couple of early EF lenses.. 28/2.8 and 135/2.8 SF

with the crop of 1.3 that gives me roughly 35mm & 175mm FF equivalent. Reason I picked those two is they are fairly compact but also share the same lenshood. The 135SF was a’Barn Find’ boxed, never used for £70!! The arc drive is unbelievably quiet, probably because it’s brand new!!

Announcements