cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download pics from Rebel XTi

joelfoster1951
Apprentice

I am having problems downloading pics from my Rebel XTi to my laptop.  I connect the camera to the laptop, the driver is downloaded.  When I turn on the camera, nothing happens.  This a new laptop.  On previous laptops, when I turned on the camera, downloads automatically started.

Any help is appreciated.

Joel Foster

11 REPLIES 11

Ray-uk
Whiz

What operating system is the laptop using ?

You may have to alter settings on your laptop to make connect automatically when you connect the camera.

Ray-uk, thanks for responding.  I have the Windows 10 OS.  When I attached the camera to the laptop, the device was successfully added to the device list.

@joelfoster1951 wrote:

Ray-uk, thanks for responding.  I have the Windows 10 OS.  When I attached the camera to the laptop, the device was successfully added to the device list.

The Windows 10 OS will see the camera, but I don't think it's going to know how to start downloads. My guess is that your previous laptops had EOS Utility installed, but that your current one doesn't.

If you do have EOSU installed, maybe it isn't set to start automatically.

A more obscure possibility stems from the fact that the XTi came out on the cusp of a change in download protocols. Conceivably your camera is set to use the older protocol and your previous computers knew how to handle that while your new one doesn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Go in the Menus and set PTP file transfer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I looked in the manual, the XTi does not have that setting.

The XTi is PTP only. Only the original Digital Rebel and XT were manually selectable.

If the laptop isn't recognizing the Rebel, either the laptop's USB port isn't supplying enough power, the USB port on the XTi has gone bad, or the USB cable is bad. You'll want to try a different cable, make sure your laptop is connected to its power adapter when you want to transfer photos, and if that doesn't work, the next step is to use an external compact flash (CF) reader, where you take the card out of the camera and transfer the photos to the laptop that way. You can find a card reader online or locally at an electronics store. 

"The XTi is PTP only. Only the original Digital Rebel and XT were manually selectable."

Too long ago, I guess, for my feeble brain to remember when it switched.  Although I had five XTi 's I have no manuals.   OP needs to get a card reader far more easy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The XTi is PTP only. Only the original Digital Rebel and XT were manually selectable."

Too long ago, I guess, for my feeble brain to remember when it switched.  Although I had five XTi 's I have no manuals.   OP needs to get a card reader far more easy.

I was never able to find that setting on my XTi's either. But I've read posts, from people who seemed to know what they were talking about, that were at least ambiguous on that point. What I can say with certainty is that my XTi's, with up-to-date firmware, had no trouble handling PTP.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Perhaps someone can explain to me the benefit of connecting the camera directly to the laptop via a usb cable instead of removing the card from the camera and reading it using either an in-built card reader on the computer, or a usb card reader.

To me they both take about the same effort, except that the camera powers the reader end of things, draining the battery and I suspect transferring slower than one would with a modern usb reader.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements