cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus

patience
Apprentice
Hey
My friend has had his T3i camera for a couple of years and he wanted to get rid of and hasn’t used for a minute because it’s auto focus is not working. I took it off his hands. Now I don’t know anything about DSLRs or anything like that. But with the body he gave me a 50mm lense. I am trying to find any help or suggestions of what could be done to fix this. I am still learning about the device
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Make sure that the lens AF switch is on.  If AF isn't working, it would be an excellent idea to try another lens to rule out a lens issue before you worry about problems with the camera body itself.  He probably didn't buy the Canon EF-50 F1.4 with his T3 but that particular 50MM has a well known failure mode from even a fairly light impact to the front of the lens.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Make sure that the lens AF switch is on.  If AF isn't working, it would be an excellent idea to try another lens to rule out a lens issue before you worry about problems with the camera body itself.  He probably didn't buy the Canon EF-50 F1.4 with his T3 but that particular 50MM has a well known failure mode from even a fairly light impact to the front of the lens.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@patience wrote:
Hey
My friend has had his T3i camera for a couple of years and he wanted to get rid of and hasn’t used for a minute because it’s auto focus is not working. I took it off his hands. Now I don’t know anything about DSLRs or anything like that. But with the body he gave me a 50mm lense. I am trying to find any help or suggestions of what could be done to fix this. I am still learning about the device

Take a look at this recent thread I created.   The first two posts contain links to two series of videos on the Canon USA YouTube channel.  The "EOS 101" series in the first post teaches you the basics of photography, and how they apply to Canon entry level DSLRs.  The "EF 101" series in the second post teaches you about different lenses that Canon offers.

If you find yourself wanting to watch the first series of videos a second and third time all the way through, then that is good thing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

patience
Apprentice
I am going to try this out tomorrow. I will get back to you guys after that
Thanks

@patience wrote:
I am going to try this out tomorrow. I will get back to you guys after that
Thanks

Uh, duh! I forgot to post the link!  The phone rang, and it was the grandkids.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/Canon-YouTube-Video-Series/m-p/269237#M... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for that link! I found the video "Canon EOS 101 How To - Auto Focus" to be very informative. It explained the different Auto Focus modes in a way that reading the manual numerous times did not do for me.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" He probably didn't buy the Canon EF-50 F1.4 ..."

I agree with this likelihood but I doubt he bought the f1.4 at all.  It is more likely it is the f1.8 version which a much lesser built lens.  The suggestion of trying a different lens is spot on. If you don't have another lens, how about a friend or a Best Buy or even a local camera shop. I am sure either would let you try a lens especially if they think a sale in involved.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

patience
Apprentice
I tried out the different lenses and it’s all good ....
Turns out my 50mm lense is broken too. I got a new lense.
Thanks guys

Smiley Happy Good, to go!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements