cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth of field displayed in inches or centimeters

Hyunsoo
Apprentice

I wish the depth of field would be displayed in inches or centimeters (for those using the metric system) instead of f1.2, f2.8, etc. I wish it would show it like this: f1.2 (2 inches) or something along these lines.

I understand depth of field is not a fixed value. The depth of field changes based on the distance to the subject, aperture and focal length. I'd like to see the camera body doing these calculations in real time and displaying them somewhere in the viewfinder. I'd assume you could toggle it on or off in the menu for those who don't need this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you install Magic Lantern on your camera, it has all the depth of field information available for display on the rear LCD so it is possible.

Here is a video I made that shows how the values change as you change focus distance or focal length.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

hsbn
Whiz

F-Number doesn't have unit. Thus it is not F1.2  in or cm. Also F-number is not depth of field.

To calculate DOF, you can use online calculator or an app in which you can enter as inches or cm. There is no DOF calculator on camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Sorry, I should have clarified. This is a wish-list thing. I hope to see a DOF calculator in camera in the future!

ScottyP
Authority
I'd like to see that too. The camera knows the distance, and obviously also knows aperture, focal length and sensor size so it could display DOF in the viewfinder, or The LCD.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
I'd like to see that too. The camera knows the distance, and obviously also knows aperture, focal length and sensor size so it could display DOF in the viewfinder, or The LCD.

We already have that, don't we? When the AF points that are in focus light up, that's effectively a depth of field indicator. No?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

We already have that, don't we? When the AF points that are in focus light up, that's effectively a depth of field indicator. No?

I suppose if you mostly take pictures of rulers that are tilted at an angle, and you shoot with your aperture wide open, then it would.  But in a real world situation, not so much.

If you install Magic Lantern on your camera, it has all the depth of field information available for display on the rear LCD so it is possible.

Here is a video I made that shows how the values change as you change focus distance or focal length.

Mike Sowsun

Nice, Miks S.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

lniles
Contributor

Great idea!  For now I guess we just stick with magic lantern!

Lowell Niles
Creative Director, Sunword Studios
http://www.sunword.com
Announcements