cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding on a new camera, help - Upgrade recommendations from EOS R7

Ivanteixeira
Apprentice

Hello. I currently have a canon R7 and I am thinking of changing it for a canon R5 Mark II. Full frame lenses I currently have the 100-500, the 50mm 1,2 and the 24-70 mm 2,8. I shoot street, architectural and wildlife mainly and some portraits. 

Do you feel the R5 will be an upgrade to my photography?

regarfs

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

First question.  What do you plan to do with your output?  Are you happy with the resolution of your R7?  If so, the R5mkII would be appropriate.  If you don't need 45MP, then the R6mkII would be my next choice.  Personally, I love the rez of my R5 C.  I'd be hard pressed to buy a 24MP camera.  My DSLR was 26MP.  I wanted my next camera to be mirrorless, and to get a bump in resolution.  I skipped over the R6 and R5 because I wanted to explore video (seriously).  I got all my wishes with the R5 C.  After sitting at 33 with the R7, once again, I'd want more not less.  However, you need to make this decision, not me.    😁

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your advice

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Ivan and welcome

In terms of image quality the difference will be massive.

You will find signiicantly less noise and the focus and face/eye tracking is beyond comparison.

With a 45MP sensor the is BSI and stacked the camera's data throughput will also be far,far better.

The rest is up to you as the photographer to learn the features and configure them the best way for your purposes 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Ivanteixeira, 

Upgrading from the Canon EOS R7 to the EOS R5 Mark II will be a significant step up, depending on your needs and preferences.  I like you also shoot street, architectural, wildlife, sports and some portraits. Here are some key differences and improvements you might find beneficial from your R7:

1. Sensor and Image Quality:  The R5 Mark II features a higher resolution sensor which can provide more detail and better image quality, especially in low light conditions.  A 45-megapixel full frame sensor, which is a significant upgrade from the 32.5-megapixel APS-C sensor in the EOS R7.

2. Autofocus System: The R5 Mark II has an advanced autofocus system that features a Dual Pixel CMOS AF II with improved subject tracking and Eye Control Focusing, which can be more accurate and faster, especially for moving subjects, as in sports or wildlife photography.  Eye Control Focusing allows you to select focus points just by looking at them through the viewfinder, making it faster and more intuitive to capture images that are moving or not.

3. Video Capabilities:  If you also shoot video, the R5 Mark II offers superior video specs, including 8K recording.

4. Build Ergonomics:  The R5 Mark II has a more robust build and better ergonomics, which can enhance your shooting experience.  EOS R7 is Polycarbonate body.  The R5 Mark II is Magnesium alloy body with better weather sealing.  The R5 Mark II is more durable and better suited for challenging shooting environments.

5. Additional Features: Features like Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) and Highlight Tone Priority that help you achieve better exposure and dynamic range in challenging lighting conditions.  In-Body Image (IBIS) which can significantly reduce camera shake, especially useful for handheld shooting in low light.  

I upgraded from an R6 Mark II (which is now my backup or second body for different lenses) to an R5 Mark II and I'm definitely more than glad I did.  I love the R5 Mark II and if you make that choice, you won't regret it, and I think you'll feel like I do.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

Thank you so much

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Ivanteixeira wrote:

Hello. I currently have a canon R7 and I am thinking of changing it for a canon R5 Mark II. Full frame lenses I currently have the 100-500, the 50mm 1,2 and the 24-70 mm 2,8. I shoot street, architectural and wildlife mainly and some portraits. 

Do you feel the R5 will be an upgrade to my photography?

regarfs

One thing to be aware of if you switch to a full frame body from the "crop sensor" R7 - the angle of view (i.e. telephoto effect) of your lenses will be reduced. Probably an advantage for street and architecture photography but could impact your wildlife photography. To see the effect set your 100-500 mm lens to a little over 300 mm.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thank you

one last question If I get the R5 mark II and shoot with my 100-500 over 300 mm I will get decent wildlife? I have already spent some money on the 3 lenses and adding the R5 aI will want to old off on getting any other lenses for a couple of months 🙂

You will get decent wildlife. What you see at ~300mm with the R7 is what you will see at 500mm with the R5. The image quality on the R5 will allow you to crop your images.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Greetings,

Good Question.  Using the RF 100-500 with your R7 you would receive an equivalent FOV of 160-800mm.  The R5mkII has a crop mode setting which would allow you to use your existing lens in a similar configuration, but, the resolution you would be capturing at is 17.3MP.  This is because the crop setting on the full frame sensor means it would not be using the full size of the sensor to capture images. 

Here is a good measure.  Open some of your favorite images in DPP and look at the focal lengths they were captured at.  Also how much cropping do you typically do?  This might help and give you an idea what to expect.

The above is a possible use case.  After review, you may find that the majority of your shots sits between 100 and 500 and that your existing lens will be enough.  It will do so at 45MP.

Another possible option.  Use a 1.4x TC.  On the 100-500 a TC can only be used between 300-500mm, but effectively gives you 420-700mm.  You do loose 1 stop of light using a 1.4x TC so this should be noted.

Last option.  Buy the RF 200-800mm as a final solution.  The wait time for this lens is 4-7 months on average. I have one on order finally and I am not a wildlife shooter at all  😆  

The truth is, I don't think you'll be unhappy shooting wildlife with the 100-500 on a R5mkII. Both of these were shot at 45MP with the 100-500 and cropped in post.  My colleague Trevor (@Tronhard) has shot wildlife extensively with his 100-500.  He's got the 200-800 also.     

CropCropSpasski River Valley_CropSpasski River Valley_Crop

I have no plans to get rid of my 100-500, even when my 200-800 arrives.  Its already proven itself as an exceptional piece of glass.  I'm sure you are very aware of its quality.  I'd give the R5mkII a try and see how you like it.  I'd expect it to be a great mate for the 100-500 and do extremely well for wildlife.  If you decide you want more reach, use it in crop mode, buy a TC or get the 200-800 as a final solution.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements