cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOF- why do I only get a key-press preview?

bigbrother
Enthusiast

Hey all. New M50 owner here. I was pretty surprised to find, after a few first shoots, that the f/stop's effect on DOF wasn't being shown in the preview display. I asked on here and elsewhere and found that I could set a button to preview it, which I summarily did. But I'm still disappointed and a bit baffled by all this...

1. Why wouldn't the camera always be showing this to begin with? Exposure and focus, two obviously critical factors to a shot, are always updated to show me what I'll be getting, so why not DOF as well?

2. The camera is obviously capable of doing this. In the Scn mode, I can adjust "background blur" (I assume a hybrid setting that adjusts your f/stop while adjusting ISO, exposure adjustment, and/or shutter speed to keep exposure fixed) and the final result is permanently shown. I can then walk around, point, and shoot seeing the actual DOF level that will result. (But I don't want to use this mode as I need more control.)

Basically this all just seems... weird. DOF is quite important to the shot and yet it's A) completely hidden from view by default, B) only viewable in a temporary fashion when it is enabled, and C) deemed important enough to be solved for all these only in a beginner mode.

Erg?

Thanks all! 

1 REPLY 1

Ray-uk
Whiz

I can't speak for the particular options that you have on your M50 because I have never used one but DOF preview is only a very rough guide because it is related to the size of the viewed image and the DOF that appears on a 3" LCD is not really much of a guide as to that which will appear on the same same image when viewed on a larger screen.

Having DOF permanently displayed would make it more difficult for the camera to achieve the correct focus and darken the image making it more difficult view, although the LCD can adjust the brightness to show a simulated preview of how the shot will look when exposed this will only work over a restricted brightness range.

Announcements