cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted Image Files on EOSR

jmaurophoto
Contributor
Yesterday I photographed the headshots and group photo for a local builder. I had the camera set to RAW on both cards, Dual Pixel RAW on, and Human Eye Detection (which works great!). Two things I noticed...
  1. photos ranged in sized from 63 - 99 megabytes! (mostly in the mid 80's)
  2. when I imported them into LR Classic (most recent update), 66 of the 119 photos on the CF Express Card were corrupt and unusable.
Fortunately all of the photos were fine on the SD Card. This is troubling on several levels. With such large sizes, it took forever to import the photos into LR. More importantly, having even one corrupt image file is not good, but 66 of them is really unacceptable. When I bought the camera from Adorama, it came with a Lexar 128GB CF Express card and it happened right from the start. I formatted the card normally and low-level and the same thing happened. I thought it was the card, so I bought a SanDisk 128MB Extreme Pro 128GB card, which is what I used yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Peter
Authority
Authority

1. When you shoot Dual Pixel Raw you take two raw files at the same time. You can extract the second raw file or even merge the two raw files.

2. If you use a card reader, change to camera and cable. If you use camera and cable, change to card reader.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Peter
Authority
Authority

1. When you shoot Dual Pixel Raw you take two raw files at the same time. You can extract the second raw file or even merge the two raw files.

2. If you use a card reader, change to camera and cable. If you use camera and cable, change to card reader.

jmaurophoto
Contributor

Here's an update. I spoke to Canon and he recommended importing directly from the camera tethered. I tried it and it worked. Image files were not corrupted. I also switched off Dual Pixel Raw and the image file size was MUCH smaller.

I think it is also worth noting that I tried opening the corrupted images using Canon DPP and they would not open either, so I suspect that the issue is the CF Express Card reader. The one that I am using is from Lexar, and I wonder if there is a better, more reliable reader.

@jmaurophoto wrote:

Here's an update. I spoke to Canon and he recommended importing directly from the camera tethered. I tried it and it worked. Image files were not corrupted. I also switched off Dual Pixel Raw and the image file size was MUCH smaller.

I think it is also worth noting that I tried opening the corrupted images using Canon DPP and they would not open either, so I suspect that the issue is the CF Express Card reader. The one that I am using is from Lexar, and I wonder if there is a better, more reliable reader.

I use the ProGrade Digital Reader PG05.5 and have never had a problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have the same reader as John.  PG05.5.  Its on the expensive side, but having CF Express B and UHS-II in the same unit is super handy.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Announcements