cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent Overexposure with EOS Rebel Cameras & Speedlite Flash

AnnieO
Contributor

I have a Canon T6i - use Auto mode- with flash bracket, shoe cord and a canon Speedlite. All is fine then in September it started to overexpose the photo - not every one but many at the event. then I read on a forum that it happens with Canon Speedlites - I then got a Neewer flash, and two Godox flashes - same issues. All in TTL setting. I then got the Canon T8i - and same issues. Then I tried new shoe cords - same issue. Tried not using the flash bracket - same issue - then I tried the new camera and a different lens - same issue. I am at the end of my experiments and cannot figure the issues. Please help - I have many events coming up and need this to work. I have asked so many people and no one can seem to help. I changed batteries, I used the rechargable battery for one of the Godox. All the same issues HELP

32 REPLIES 32

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

" All is fine then in September it started to overexpose the photo"

It worked OK until September? Can you identify what settings/equipment/setup you might have changed in September?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Auto mode as always. Nothing has changed. And it's not every picture but almost

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

ETTL does have limitations. Let's start with what mode your camera is in. Aperture priority? Shutter priority? Other?

Also, for cases where the photo is overexposed, what were the settings (metadata)? Could it be that the shutter speed was at or near the max sync speed (which I think is around 1/160 s for the Rebel cameras).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Auto mode as always . Nothing changed. Been doing it this way for years

In auto mode though, the camera will be setting both exposure and flash exposure. While that may work well for some situations, it will not for others.

Are you using exposure compensation and/or flash exposure compensation at all to help?

More information though is definitely needed to help troubleshoot. I'll ask again for the camera settings (metadata) for the images that are overexposed.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I understand you need more info but I have no idea how to give you that info. It is usually at cocktail hour in basically same location in some are ok and others are not. I have been doing these events for years and this just started

Hi AnnieO can you please post a few pictures in the forum with the EXIF Data intact. Also what model camera and speedlite are you using. I noticed you said that you were using TTL. All of Canon's digital cameras require E-TTL capable flash units for Flash Autoexposure. If not all of your picture will be overexposed or did you mean E-TTL. I use Canon's first party speedlites and NEVER experience over or underexposed pictures. Which Canon model speedlite are you using too. Does the built in flash cause this too.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Danny

Hi, AnnieO!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon Speedlite model you're using.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

AnnieO
Contributor

This first happened last year with the Canon430EX. Then I bought the Canon 580EX. It was good for about a year till this past September. Then I tried the Neewer NW561. Still happened. Then tried the Godox TT685II still happened. Then tried the Godox V1. Still happens. Tried different show cords with the flash bracket. Tried no flash bracket. Then got the new camera Canon T8i still happens. I have so many events coming up and still have the problem. TTL and auto mode on the cameras

Announcements