cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering upgrading, but going back and forth...

mknabster
Contributor

Thanks for your time in helping me decide, I have been going back and forth on this for awhile now, but i'm considering an upgrade more since I have noticed my 5D MKIII has been having some odd autofocus issues. At first I thought it could be the lens, but now it has happened with three of them, so it might actually be the camera. Long story short, it was having issues finding focus during daylight. I had to press the shutter multiple times to get it to lock on. I have had it for a solid 12 years at this point, don't use it professionally (despite what people tell me) and have done my best to take care of it (though I took the weather sealing for granted when I took it to Niagara Falls a couple years ago). I have 4x Tamron SP 1st generation lenses and 1x Samyang lens.

Now to my dilemma, do I keep with the DSLR and go with a new 5D MKIV so I can keep using my lens lineup, know the body is built like a tank, and not have to worry about firmware updates? Or, do I go to the mirrorless system, probably either the R5, R5 MKII, or R6 MKII, and get the superior autofocus, a flip out screen for those low angle shots, and an EVF?

I know I would need an adapter to use my current lenses, and Tamron said I would need to send a majority of them away to get their internal firmware upgraded to work with the R series. I recently saw an R5 user with a Canon EF to RF adapter and saw the lens seemed like it was bending down a bit, so that scared me a bit. He had the Canon 70-300mm DO IS on it, so not too long of a lens to cause that.

As far as what I currently use my 5D MKIII for, it's mostly travel, landscapes, macro, wildlife, family and some astrophotography. I probably wouldn't use video on a new camera since I have a dedicated camcorder, plus a majority of my lenses don't have the quietest autofocus on them. I would like to have a top screen because I use mine all the time, I hate the R6 MKII doesn't have it, because I would opt for that one if it did since the MP count isn't as big of a jump like it would be to either of the R5s, but then again, that higher MP would allow me to crop, which I never felt like I could do detail wise with mine at 22MP. I also have seen so many people talk about their R camera lock up or freeze on them, plus I have seen it happen first hand on my father-in-law's R6 MKII. I'm also surprised that Canon is still selling the 5D MKIV, so as you can see I'm all over the place.

So, in reading all this, coming from a 5D MKIII, a little bit afraid of change but still want to get some nice images, what do you think, go mirrorless or stay with DSLR? Thanks for your time on this, I do appreciate it!

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

The DSLR platform is on life-support and I see sales on the high-end bodies like the 5DIV at my end of the planet, so that suggests to me that they will run out in the foreseeable future.  I would normally say that it is better to move to the R-series MILC bodies to gain the benefits of face and eye tracking, better dynamic range, IBIS (in some cases) and future-proofing your camera technology, especially with an eye to getting new optics. 

However, considering your statement that you have had your 5DIII for 12 years and seemed otherwise happy with it, I get the impression you will not be changing gear often. Significant to that is the question of your intentions as regards lenses. You have made no mention of intending to switch to RF native glass if you did get a R-series body and, in fact, seem to suggest you would consider having your current Sigma lenses adapted. This leads me to suspect you are happy with the performance of those lenses and are not considering a native RF lens upgrade.  The question you need to consider is whether the benefits of an R MILC will be worth the cost of having your Sigma lenses adapted.  I honestly can't answer that - only you can.

If that assumption about keeping your lenses is correct and, given your trepidation regarding R series bodies, I would say that if you do not see a major benefit in moving to a MILC body then stick to the DSLR platform and get a 5DIV.  If it does what you want then it's appropriate.

I will, however, add a couple of notes regarding your concerns:

1. If the person you saw that seemed to have a bend with the RF adapter, it suggests to me that they were not supporting the camera + lens combo under the base of the lens and adapter, which is where one is supposed to carry and use them.  I can say that I have used multiple heavy lenses, including the Sigma 60-600s (which is a howitzer at 2.700, about 6lb) with no issues whatsoever via the Canon EF-RF adapter, on my 4 R-series bodies - the mounts are designed to take that kind of load.

Also, as regards complaints, it is a common phenomena that most comments about a product are negative, as the silent majority see no reason to comment on something that works as intended.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

TomRamsey
Enthusiast

My advice on buying a new camera is go with the newest technology you can afford.  As far as a lens on an adapter bending down, I don't see how that could happen unless the person was holding the camera with both hands.  If one is holding the kit properly and supporting the lens with the left hand that should never happen.  

Announcements