cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from RP to R8? (Or R6 Mark II?)

fatucoj7
Apprentice

Hi guys! I am currently owning a RP which I am quite happy of, but I’m slowly beginning to look at the R8. My main concerns with the RP are its autofocus (I find that it is doing crazy things 40% of time) and its dynamic range (I often find my highlights completely burnt). Would the R8 solve those? Would the R6mk2 (or even the mk1) be better? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

ctitanic
Rising Star

Hi Fatucoj7

The answer in my opinion is yes, the R6Mk2 (and the Mk1 to some extend) is a better camera than the R8.

Here is a comparison between the R8 vs the R6Mk1

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R8-vs-Canon-EOS-R6

And here is a comparison with the R6Mk2

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R8-vs-Canon-EOS-R6-Mark-II

As you can see in both cases the R6 and R6Mk2 get a higher Score.

The R8 is categorized as a beginner camera.It lacks of joystick, dual card slot and does not have in body stabilization, these are key features for any serious hobbiest or professional. 

Regarding your highlights issue, the R6 Mk2 and the R8 have similar Dynamic Range Performance which is better than the RP.

Screenshot 2024-09-11 101053.png

So specially at lower ISO values you may not see any highlights issues or at least those could be fixed in post editing.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

All good points Frank. 🙂 

@fatucoj7. Go for the R6 Mark II if you can swing it!!  The R6II has a good deal more merits.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

LeonG
Apprentice

Hiya, 

I'm really interested to understand what the 'crazy autofocus things 40% of the time' are! 

The reason I ask is I really want to buy an RP as a bargain second hand full frame modern mirrorless; however I read wildly varying opinions on the AF performance, is it really that bad for everyday hobbyist photography? What sort of issues are you experiencing, in which circumstances & which subjects, and what AF modes & lenses are you using? 

I know the FPS is very mediocre, it's the servo AF performance that I'm particularly interested in. 

Many thanks in advance!

Regards 

Announcements