cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade recommendations from EOS M50 for studio photography

Oliver564
Apprentice

Hi everyone! 
I have a second hand canon EOS M50 with a kit lens (I don’t use) and a Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Pancake Lens with EF-M Mount. 

I have my own photography business and mostly shoot from my home studio, families, newborns, maternity, birthday shoots etc. 

I feel I’ve really outgrown this camera and looking for the best one you can recommend (and a lens) for great focus and sharp images for the type of pictures I take.

Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for that info Oliver.

For your cited applications: shoot from home studio, families, newborns, maternity, birthday shoots etc.  We are looking mostly at portrait photography.

I would suggest going for a full-frame camera this time around.  The EOS R6 MarkII.   It will provide much superior dynamic range and noise control.  It has In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) to hold the camera steadier when shooting hand-held, and will combine that with the optical stabilization of RF lenses.

For your work, given the range of subjects from single to groups, and static to mobile (in the case of little ones), I would suggest the RF 24-105L f/4, which has a constant aperture, high quality imagery and will cover the field of view your EF-M 22 did (it's equivalent to a 35mm FF lens).
You can pick up a refurbished camera from the Canon Refrub site.  These may be surplus stock and new, opened box but unused, demo or show units, but good as new and come with a Canon guarantee:

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R6 Mark II Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Shop Canon Refurbished RF24–105mm F4 L IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

The two together would come to about $3,500.  I would allow some funds for spare batteries.

You will find this camera a fabulous long-term tool with the quality and robust construction to handle pro work.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Oliver and welcome to the forum:
First and foremost, to help us to help you, please - what is your budget value?  We can offer options in the many thousands as you will have to replace both your camera body and lens.  So, how much have you allocated as an investment for body, lens, and batteries?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I would say 3.5-4K possibly! 

Thank you for replying. 

Thanks for that info Oliver.

For your cited applications: shoot from home studio, families, newborns, maternity, birthday shoots etc.  We are looking mostly at portrait photography.

I would suggest going for a full-frame camera this time around.  The EOS R6 MarkII.   It will provide much superior dynamic range and noise control.  It has In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) to hold the camera steadier when shooting hand-held, and will combine that with the optical stabilization of RF lenses.

For your work, given the range of subjects from single to groups, and static to mobile (in the case of little ones), I would suggest the RF 24-105L f/4, which has a constant aperture, high quality imagery and will cover the field of view your EF-M 22 did (it's equivalent to a 35mm FF lens).
You can pick up a refurbished camera from the Canon Refrub site.  These may be surplus stock and new, opened box but unused, demo or show units, but good as new and come with a Canon guarantee:

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R6 Mark II Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Shop Canon Refurbished RF24–105mm F4 L IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

The two together would come to about $3,500.  I would allow some funds for spare batteries.

You will find this camera a fabulous long-term tool with the quality and robust construction to handle pro work.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks so much!! 

Announcements