cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer won't recognize 7D

Jakemup
Contributor

My computer (windows 7) does not recognize that the camera is attached with the provided USB cable. Auto run does not pop-up.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software I have tried to add devices, disabled the cameras power save and everything else i could think of but the Computer does not appear to even search for the attached camera

Additionally I am very computer/technologically illiterate.  I am at wits end, Please help. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Typically, you would connect the camera, and turn it on.  The initial startup might take a minute or two.  If the EOS utility does not start automatically [a Windows autorun setting may be holding back], try starting the EOS Utility manually.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's not just recognizing it as anything there. It won't pull it up manually. Searching for a device doesn't locate it. I hooked up my Rebel T3i and it popped up and functioned properly with that camera but the 7d is nowhere to be found. 

@Jakemup wrote:

It's not just recognizing it as anything there. It won't pull it up manually. Searching for a device doesn't locate it. I hooked up my Rebel T3i and it popped up and functioned properly with that camera but the 7d is nowhere to be found. 

It sounds like a bad camera.  Don't need me to tell you that.  Call Canon Support, at 1-800-OK-CANON.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Jakemup wrote:

My computer (windows 7) does not recognize that the camera is attached with the provided USB cable. Auto run does not pop-up.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software I have tried to add devices, disabled the cameras power save and everything else i could think of but the Computer does not appear to even search for the attached camera

Additionally I am very computer/technologically illiterate.  I am at wits end, Please help. Thanks

Make sure your OS has all relevant updates and that your camera is at the latest firmware level. If you're using the 64-bit version of Windows 7, install EOS Utility Version 3.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks I have installed Utility 3 but was unsuccessful. not sure of what other updates may be required firmware is 1.0.5. Sounds like it is a bad camera and should have it sent in for repair or replacement or what not. (which sucks having not had the camera for barely a week. 

Any other possible tips or suggestions as a possible last ditch effort?

Thanks again for all the help,

@Jakemup wrote:

Thanks I have installed Utility 3 but was unsuccessful. not sure of what other updates may be required firmware is 1.0.5. Sounds like it is a bad camera and should have it sent in for repair or replacement or what not. (which sucks having not had the camera for barely a week. 

Any other possible tips or suggestions as a possible last ditch effort?

Thanks again for all the help,

Is this a 7D Mark I or a Mark II? If it's a Mark II, it uses a micro-USB cable. Since every other Canon camera I ever saw uses a mini-USB cable, it suggests that you may not have tried the cable with any other camera. Did you try a different cable with your camera? If you did and it still didn't work, it suggests that there may be a problem with the camera's USB connector. In any case, you probably ought to call Canon.

Bob

I have tried a secondary cable with no results. It is a Mark II. 

I will try calling Canon>

Thank you so much for trying I greatly appreciate it. 

damgood
Contributor
Same here. My 7D Mk2 was working with this computer & this Windows 10 installation. I joined my work domain (requiring a new user account) & now I get nothing. It simply isn't there. I have been building computers for most of my life & using digital cameras for 3/4 of that. In 25 years of photog/IT I have not seen this once.

Have you tried checking the MTP driver? See this post: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl
Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell

@damgood wrote:
Same here. My 7D Mk2 was working with this computer & this Windows 10 installation. I joined my work domain (requiring a new user account) & now I get nothing. It simply isn't there. I have been building computers for most of my life & using digital cameras for 3/4 of that. In 25 years of photog/IT I have not seen this once.

Have you tried checking the MTP driver? See this post: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

Unless you made your computer a domain controller (something you'd be unlikely to do if you're in charge and they'd be unlikely to let you do otherwise), joining it to your work domain shouldn't have disabled your previous user account. Can you see the camera if you log in with that account?

Bob
Announcements