cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison of R5, R5II and the R3

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

If you can deal with the presentation style, Jarod Polin has released a comparison review of these cameras to get those of us who are stuck with a decision as to where to go.  If you are looking for a reasonably detailed overview, you might find it worth a view.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
18 REPLIES 18

Hello again, TREVOR

Thanks for the detailed information. I think the R5 Mark II may have the same seal as the Original R5. I wonder what it really looks like. I hope Lens Rentals and kolarivision can disassemble the camera and see the details.

Thank you.

cheers, BORA

I expect they will - in time.  The R5 is considered to have exceptional sealing - which was rather the challenge with regards heat retention!  In the R5II, by having this space that is sealed in terms of material ingress: either from moisture or dust, but is a thermally highly conductive heat sink with a stand-off out layer for operation, they will hopefully get the best of both worlds.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you, that was most interesting!! 🤔

The video and photos rather confirm my suspicion about the heat venting arrangement.  There is a false back within which there is a thermal venting shaft, with the holes at the base to accept heat from a sealed metal plate that forms the true back of the camera.  This metal plate conducts heat into the void, where the heat rises and is likely dissipated out to the true left of the camera, where there is another set of vents.

Tronhard_0-1728504864792.png

Inside that metal plate are the components of the camera and this is my best guess (from the limited imagery available) of the arrangement of heat transfer components from the various chips.
Heat venting arrangement.jpg

It's hard to be precise without knowing the function of each chip and I can't read the chip IDs at this resolution, but from the materials used, I think this is a reasonable speculation.

cheers, TREVOR

ctitanic
Rising Star

Hahaha, I like the part where you said "if you can deal with his presentation style". I watch his videos and I checked this one yesterday. These are 3 good cameras and picking one of them is more like an economical decision than anything else, at least in my case. I love everything thing on the R3 but the size of it! From the R5 series I do not like the resolution, it just does not work for me that many MP. It will slow down my post editing process a lot and on top of that will make create a problem with storage of those high resolution pictures. 

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

John_SD
Whiz

"If you can deal with the presentation style, Jarod Polin has released a comparison review..."

No, I can't deal with the kooky Jared Polin, and so I won't be watching. His points, while sometimes valid, are too deeply buried in his annoying presentation to sit through. Dustin Abbott is more to my taste. YMMV.

As for the R5, while I am not in the market for one, this would be a definite case to let someone else be the canary in the coal mine. Again, YMMV. 

Fair enough John...although, given your antipathy to the presenter and the camera, I am curious why you responded at all! 😊
FWIW, I grit too my teeth with Polin, and skip past the parts that annoy me, but some elements of his work are valid, IMHO.  Yep, I also tend to use Abbott, and Camera Labs - they are pretty thorough, but don't do that particular type of comparison.

cheers, TREVOR

John_SD
Whiz

"...given your antipathy to the presenter and the camera, I am curious why you responded at all!"

LOL. This is an open forum for Canon users, Trevor, not your personal blog. We are all free to post commentary without donning the pom-poms. YMMV. 

I realize that, which is why I am at liberty to be surprised and express that - and I could say exactly the same about personal blogs for your comment, but I didn't.  I am absolutely NOT saying you have no right to comment, of course you do, I was just curious - no offense was intended.  No idea what you mean by pom-poms, must be a cultural thing?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements