cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color temperature changing during video shot (7D)

ri_baptista
Apprentice

Hello!

Yesterday I shot some videos with my 7D and after downloading the videos to my laptop I noticed every movie starts with the correct color temperature and after a few seconds the colors seem a lot hotter.

Does somebody knows why this happens and how can I prevent that?

Here are some facts:

* I was using Live View so I could trigger movie recording remotely from my laptop (I was shooting alone).

* I recorded SEVERAL takes within a period of 4 hours, each take lasting about 2 minutes, and waiting about 1 or 2 minutes before starting recording the next take (sometimes I started immediately). I kept just the very last ones, so I don't know if this issue was happening during the first takes. Could this problem be related to camera sensor working for hours straight, even taking a break of 1 or 2 minutes between each take?

* Light sources remained constant during the entire recording session.

Below are some screenshots so you can see what I'm talking about:

Thanks!

AT THE START OF THE VIDEO:

7d_before.png

AFTER A FEW SECONDS (notice how skin tones changed drastically):

7d_after.png

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is the light source?

ri_baptista
Apprentice
Hi @kvbarkley

Light source is a couple of softboxes positioned diagonally at my both sides. I'm using 5500k/125W lamps on them.

Tungsten, flourescent or led?

It is fluorescent:

IMG_1519.JPG

The flicker is probably faking out the auto white balance, or the flicker is not syncd with the video.

Rdf254
Contributor

All of a sudden my 7d switches off raw to jpeg - if i set it to raw only, as soon as the camera shots down and reopens its now jpeg.  Any ideas.

@Rdf254 wrote:

All of a sudden my 7d switches off raw to jpeg - if i set it to raw only, as soon as the camera shots down and reopens its now jpeg.  Any ideas.

Are you using one of the "C" settings on the mode dial? I'm pretty sure that when the camera is turned on in those modes, it reverts to the settings that mode had when it was last updated. If it's not what you want, re-save the mode after you change the setting from JPEG to RAW.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If your WB is set to AUTO, set it to a fixed value, and take a shot of grey card before, during, and after your filming session.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Rdf254
Contributor
No this happens in Manual mode.
Announcements