cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera. Canon Rebel T5i

Cameron4459
Apprentice

Hello everyone!

I have a Canon T5i and it used to periodically have the have the error "card cannot be accessed, reinsert/change the card or format card with camera" but it would go away eventually if I re-inserted the card a few times and restarted.

Now, nothing can be done to get rid of this error message - I've tried old cards, brand new cards, different brands of cards, etc. so I know the card is not the issue. This means I cannot take any photos.  

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? If not, is this something I can get fixed if I take it in (I live in NYC) or is it best to just get a new camera altogether?

Thank you so much!

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure you are only using the full size cards.  Never use the micro-SD cards that require an adapter.  Be sure that you are using the UHS-I cards.  Check the memory card slot for foreign debris or dirt.

[EDIT]. Make sure the cards have not been used by any other device.  Under rare circumstances, formatting the card in a computer before inserting it into the camera may help.  Be sure to use the corrrect file system when you do, FAT32.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Check the card slot. Is there any dust/debris in it?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would first format a brand new top quality SD card on a WIndows computer.  Now we know the SD card is good and ready to use. Put it into your camera.  If it still doesn't work or only seems to work intermittently you need to get the camera serviced or cleaned. 

Check with Canon service to see if a T5i is still serviceable, If it is as for a C&C. Otherwise call Midwest Camera Repair.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements