cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon t6i in snow or cold weather.

sanny
Apprentice
Can I use my canon t6i in cold weather (10-20F) or when it is snowing, since it is not weather sealed, is the snow going to be a problem? Could the snow or cold damage the camera?
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you read the manual, Canon says you should not use it below freezing, but I have found that above 0F is usually OK, it is a good idea to keep the camera in your jacket to keep the battery warm.

The snow is another issue. A few flakes quickly brushed off are not a problem, but a gob of wet snow allowed to melt on the camera is a no-no. Obviously there is a large range between these two.

Your camera is a tool. If you need to get the picture, you might have to take some risks. If the camera is damaged, time for a new tool. I took my T3i out on the tidepools and got splashed by a wave - I quickly dried off the camera, but that was enough for it to die. (The lens is still fine, though). I was upset, but knew it was time for a new camera, so I got my T6S.

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Biggest issue with cold will be battery life. Have a second battery and keep in warm inside jacket.

You can jury rig a protective cover or get and OpTech cover for under $10.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@sanny wrote:
Can I use my canon t6i in cold weather (10-20F) or when it is snowing, since it is not weather sealed, is the snow going to be a problem? Could the snow or cold damage the camera?

I do not advise it with a Rebel.  

The lack of sealing means the cold will get into the camera faster, and any internal heat it generates will escape faster.  It is a risk, wrought with unknowns.  I would definitely wrap it up like a newborn baby.  Do not forget to protect your lens, too.

The battery is very sensitive to the cold.  It can register 0 volts on a voltmeter when it is exposed to 0F, but measure as fully charged when it is warmed up to a nominal 72F.  Same battery.  The only difference is temperature.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have used my T5i for photographing winter wcenes, ice climbing events and ski races - all without a problem. Temps weren't down to 10F, but 15F was not uncommon.

Put a wether cover on and have a spare battery. As Wadizzle said, cold lowers battery performance but it returns wheh warmed up.. Swap them out as necessary and you should be fine.

Before you bring your camera inside to a warmer environment be sure to put iit in a plastic bag or something similar so you don't get condensation - it will fog up optics and take a while to disipate.

Same hold true going from an air conditioned environment to a humid outdoors.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Even though most of the guys say no to easycover, I love mine.  Not an excuse to abuse the camera or expose it to water / snow / temp extremes, but adds a layer of protection $30.  I've put one every canon I've owned.  Locally available too.

https://www.easycover.eu/products/camera-cases/easycover-camera-case-canon-750d-rebel-t6i

easycover-camera-cases[1].jpg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Forget the cold. Not a problem. Do as instructed above by keeping a second battery in an inside pocket.

"...when it is snowing..."

Snowing or snow storm?  Snowing has never hurt any of the dozen or so Rebels I have used in the past.  There are great shots just waiting when there is light snow falling.  Go catch them.   Neither Rebel nor I will be outside in a snow storm! 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

11 REPLIES 11

sanny
Apprentice
Thank you so much for the nice info.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
One problem with steering wheel covers is that mold and mildew can grow underneath it. I would expect some camera covers to be no different.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements