cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T7I Raw images partially corrupted

erikab1123
Apprentice

Hi, I got my T7I last fall and really haven't taken THAT many photos - not in comparison to the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands that I took w/ my T4I that I replaced with it.

This summer I started noticing weird things w/ my images that stared on the raw level. Some even when I updated them in Photoshop had lines running through them. When this happened I had to open the raw file and resave it multiple times to get the lines to go away.

Others have part of the image corrupted and that part is unrecoverable.

Examples:

Lines in image

LWR_Recording2.png

Corrupted RAW file:

LWR_Recording.png

I thought maybe it was the type of memory card I was using but this happens on multiple cards.

It happens when I use the auto functions for both with and without flash.

Does anyone have any insights to what's going on? Is there something in my camera settings I should change? Are there firmware updates that are needed?

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are these full size cards or micro cards with adapters?

I'm using standard cards, not the tiny ones that you put into housing.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you see this on the camera LCD or just your computer?

When you say "open the raw file and resave it" exactly what processa re you using, and in what software. Are you just opening and the quiting the file or are you doing a file operation?

Are you using a built-in or external card reader?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I generally don't see the problems when I'm taking photos, but I don't always check the quick review. I do recall seeing one of my images when I was taking pics outside this summer and it did show the discolored bar so I had to retake the photo.

Once I copy the raw images to my computer that's when I see the corrupted lines.

I don't know exactly where the problem is occuring. The lines issue I think is something weird w/ Photoshop. I save the files as Jpgs - they sometimes come up w/ the lines. I go back to Photoshop and resave the image from the Raw image that I had just edited and usually after a few saving attempts the lines go away.

I use SD cards, I don't save anything on my camera. I have no idea how to do that.

Download Canon DPP software and use that to open the RAW files and see what happens. 

Since you said you see image defects on the camera LCD I would suspect a camera problem. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I had to open the raw file and resave it multiple times to get the lines to go away"

This should not be possible. DPP4 can save a Raw but it doesn't change it.  No other editor that I know of can save a Raw file.

If your are using a top brand SD card and still get the pink or green portions in your shots, you need to call Canon for service.

Go buy a new SD card. Get the exact one recommended in your manual. Exactly. Get a top brand from a good retailer like Best Buy. Amazon is not a "top" retailer. Don't buy a huge SD card, 16GB or 32GB tops.  Format it in your T7i. If it still gives you the pink and or green section in your shots call Canon.1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'll go pick up some new SD cards. I generally don't buy any that are larger than 64GB. I haven't formatted the cards directly to my camera, so that might be the issue. They were likely formatted to my origina T4I.

I think my lines issue is Photoshop not saving my jpgs correctly.

"Since you said you see image defects on the camera LCD I would suspect a camera problem."

Exactly!   On the other hand if you only see the problem on your computer, try a new USB cable preferably the one that came with your camera. Make sure you are not using a "charging" USB cable to import to the computer.  They are different.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I can categorically state that a charging cable will not cause image corruption, since you cannot transfer images at all.

Announcements