cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T3 Focusing under rapid fire.

jowler
Apprentice

Hey guys, I have owned a canon t3 for a couple years but I have really started to use it a lot recently. I was wondering, under rapid fire, i noticed that my photos are not in focus. Anything I can do about this?

4 REPLIES 4

@jowler wrote:

Hey guys, I have owned a canon t3 for a couple years but I have really started to use it a lot recently. I was wondering, under rapid fire, i noticed that my photos are not in focus. Anything I can do about this?

Wait until the camera achieves focus before pressing the shutter button all the way down. Quite possibly that technique is explained, even recommended, in the user manual.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Skirball
Authority

What focus mode are you in?  What focus point(s) are selected?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Does the Rebel T3 fire without focus confirmation?  I don't have one to try but I doubt it does.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If you use "One Shot" mode, the camera wont take a shot until it confirms that it has locked focus.  But... once it has locked focus the focusing system will go inactive and the camera wont know if anything has changed (e.g. if the subject distance has changed.)

If you switch to "AI Servo" mode then the camera will continuously focus as the subject moves... the focus system will remain active even after locking focus.  But there's another catch... "AI Servo" also uses "release priority" which means that when you fully press the shutter button to take the shot, the camera WILL take that shot even if it hasn't had time to lock focus.

As the photography, you have to be watching for focus when you use AI Servo mode to be confortable that the camera has had time to lock focus before you start shooting.

If you are shooting moving subjects and the focus distance is rapidly changing, keep in mind that the focus motors on kit lenses are not very fast.  Canon's "STM" lenses are a bit faster.  Canon's USM lenses are the fastest.  That's a generalization... you'd really need to evaluate the specific lens.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements