cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling camera

abgrd1228
Apprentice

Hello! I just upgraded to the Mark iii and LOVE it! I am looking to sell my Rebel 500D plus the 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens. Am I able to sell on here if anyone is interested? If not, do you have suggestions on where I try selling it? Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

Skirball
Authority

I thought there was a forum on here for selling, but I can't find it.  Not sure if I was mistaken, or it's no longer here.

Fred Miranda probably has the biggest online forum of used gear, with the largest amount of traffic.  Canon Rumors has a decent amount of traffic as well.  That said, both those forums are geared towards camera enthusiasts and professionals, so nobody is going to be chomping at the bit for a 500D and kit lens.  I would think you'd have better luck on Craigslist or something of the sort - but it wouldn't hurt to list it on FM.

Edit: as an aside.  I would have a look at what you think you can get for it, and decide if it's worth it to you.  When I upgraded to a 6D from a 450D I figured it just wasn't worth the hassle for the trivial amount I would get back.  My 450D spends most of its time in a drawer, but it still gets pulled out from time to time for various uses.  It's small, and lenses even smaller, and I don't really care about it.  So it gets tossed in a pack, or put on a questionable tripod over water, or other such random use.  The little use I got out of it is worth to me more than I would have gotten for it.

Thank you for your reply! I definitely toyed with whether it was even worth it because it's definitely not your top of the line camera. I figured if it's just going to sit I'd see what I could get for it...if anything. Again, thank you for the response and info!

@abgrd1228 wrote:

Thank you for your reply! I definitely toyed with whether it was even worth it because it's definitely not your top of the line camera. I figured if it's just going to sit I'd see what I could get for it...if anything. Again, thank you for the response and info!

I save my old cameras because I never know when I might have a chance to get one of my grandchildren interested in photography. (My daughter is already an accomplished photographer, but she had more to do with getting me interested than the other way around!)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try these folks as well:

https://www.keh.com/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ScottyP
Authority
Hi,

Just another idea. You could sell it to Adorama or B & H (if they are buying them) and take a store credit for something you need, like a polarizing filter, credit towards a tripod or backpack, etc... They certainly wouldn't pay top dollar but it would be very easy and the store credit idea is something you are bound to find useful?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

abgrd1228
Apprentice
Thanks everyone! That's another great idea,Scott!

I work in a lower income public school system and know for a fact that the high schools are always looking for community contributions. High school was when I got hooked on photography and it is still cool to see kids excited about thier creative work.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens is worth keeping and using.  For what you could get it will make a good second lens in case of emergency.  Besides it is a very good lens in it's own right.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens is worth keeping and using.  For what you could get it will make a good second lens in case of emergency.  Besides it is a very good lens in it's own right.

In a parallel thread you and I just suggested to an OP that he consider buying the 28-135. Here's another OP who wants to sell one. Is it within the rules of this forum to try to match them up?

Actually, I guess just mentioning it allows them to try to find each other if they're interested.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements