cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SLR 70D and Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 - Fast Action Dance Shots

mwikster
Contributor

I have a Canon SLR 70D and Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 - trying to take fast action dance shots

2 questions

1.  What settings would you put your camera on.  Photos in a gym and unable to use flash.  Dance is hip hop, lyrical and pom routines so a lot of movement.  Using TV setting and bumped ISO to 3200 - the photos are okay but not crisp.

2.  Trying to do multi shots using the Canon SLR 70D and Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 - it wont let me do multi shots - it takes one at a time and then get the busy signal - missing good dance shots b/c of it.  Using sd card with a "10" writing speed. Have the setting on continuous shots.  When I put my small lens back on - can do the multi shots w/o issue.

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sometimes you do hit the limit of the ability of the camera and lens combo.  It could be doing as well as it can.

The only thing to try is different settings to see if we can improve.  Of course a better camera, such as the 7D Mk II would help a great deal.

It sounds as if you may be better off in 'single' shooting mode.  There is just so much the camera can do.

You say you tried Tv, well give Av a try too.  I would have choosen it first anyway.  Set the Tammy at f2.8 and try it.  The camera will give you the fastest shutter it can.  DOF will be critical so focus carefully.

What is the "small lens"?  It may be a faster lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority
The busy signal after just one shot? Are you positive? I have not noticed the camera to show the busy signal while it hunts for focus, but rather when you have filled the memory buffer with multiple shots and he camera is trying to write the images to the card.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

2.  Trying to do multi shots using the Canon SLR 70D and Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 - it wont let me do multi shots - it takes one at a time and then get the busy signal - missing good dance shots b/c of it.  Using sd card with a "10" writing speed. Have the setting on continuous shots.  When I put my small lens back on - can do the multi shots w/o issue.

It doesn't do the busy after one shot, it will only let me shot one photo at a time - will take 5-6 photos and then busy signal.  When I used my 17-50 mm lens, I am able to put it on TV and it will allow me to do a burst of photos - basically holding the release button continually down.  It doesn't work when I use the telephoto lens.

I am a "Mom" when a nice camera - trying to take better action shots of the girls dance activity - so not sure what I am doing wrong.  Works with the one lens and not the other and I have on the same settings. 

Mom,

Do a factory default reset, 'clear all settings', and try the combo outside on a daylighted day. Put the camera in "P" mode and the lens on "AF".  Does it work properly?  We need to establish where the problem lies.

There is no reason I know of that would cause the Tammy to not work and the kit lens to work.  Unless there is a problem somewhere.  If anything the Tamron should be better as it is a very good lens.  It is the A009 model?  I love it.

EB

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements