Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SL3 and T5 - Overexposing When Shooting From Viewfinder In Auto Modes

Jaxsonp10
Contributor

Hello Canon Community!

I'm having some trouble with my DSLRs. 

I've noticed BOTH my Canon SL3 and T5 are both overexposing images when shooting from the viewfinder vs. the Live View, when shooting in auto modes. 

The issue stems from shutter speeds; in AUTO, Program AE, and in Apeture Priority AE, the cameras will always choose a faster shutter speed when using the Live View than when using the viewfinder.

For example, in Program AE mode, when viewing in through the viewfinder, the Camera will choose a 1/6th shutter speed. The exposure meter shows dead center. When immediately switching to Live View, the Camera will choose a 1/10th shutter speed. The exposure meter shows dead center. 

No other exposure settings are changed, and the resulting images are often significant different, with the viewfinder images almost being unusable due to overexposure. 

This issue does not persist in full Manual, or in Shutter Priority mode. When using Shutter Priority, the camera chooses to use the same ISO and Apeture in both shooting methods, and the exposure meter reads dead center in either mode...

I know the cameras use separate metering techniques depending on if you're in Live View or not, but if one of those sensors is off, wouldn't the exposure meter values be off in the Manual or Shutter Priority modes...?

Really confused as to what I'm missing. I know I should be shooting full manual anyways, but it's frustrating when I want to shoot auto to be limited to using the Live View only...

Thanks for any help!

21 REPLIES 21

Hi,

not sure who Jason is? But if that was all for me… i have been shooting with canon dSLR cameras for 15 years. I have extensive experience and very rarely use the LCD for composition. 
I don’t have the ability to share images right now but i have been shooting side by side with the same settings and same lenses between the 70d and the SL3 and the latter is consistently over exposing images. 

Actually the Jason was a typo that I shall fix - it should be the Jaxson who is the valid OP of this thread and on which you have hopped, which is not recommended as we end up with the confusion we are now experiencing.
If you have your own thread, I would expect you would state your issue in detail, your experience and, if necessary and if possible, show examples.

Just because one person has issues and yours seem similar does not duplicate the precise circumstances that underly it, so a solution that works for one person may not work for another.  The less details people post the more confusion can arise.

So, please start your own thread and you will get answers tailored to you.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements