cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7i - Shutter Count?

photogal85
Apprentice

Hi there!  Could someone please help me?  I purchased a Canon Rebel T7i years ago (which I LOVE) and I am trying to figure out the shutter count.  Everything I have researched suggests that this model has to be sent into Canon to get an accurate reading.  Can someone verify this?  OR tell me how to retrieve it?  I swear I searched the manual and I just can't find it 😥  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

That is pretty much correct.  There are many 3rd party apps out there but I have not found one that works.  Now, I use Windows and apparently some people claim success with a Mac OS, but I can't verify that.  Certainly, all of the documentation I have read on the subject indicates what I have have said.

One possible thing is, if you have left the counting system at its default i.e.
- Continuous numbering
- have not used other cards from different cameras with images on them,
- have not low level formatted your cards and reset the numbering

then the shutter count is the number assigned to the latest image shot when you see it on your camera viewfinder.  So, your image will display as ???_####.  The #### series is the shutter count up to units of 10,000, while the $$$ is sets of 10,000 images.  Thus, a picture with file name 100-2245, has a shutter count of 2,245; whereas a display of 101-2345, has a shutter count of 12,345 images.

If, on pressing the display button, the image number is not displayed, press the Info button and it will cycle through the display options until it does.

I hope this will be of some assistance

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

That is pretty much correct.  There are many 3rd party apps out there but I have not found one that works.  Now, I use Windows and apparently some people claim success with a Mac OS, but I can't verify that.  Certainly, all of the documentation I have read on the subject indicates what I have have said.

One possible thing is, if you have left the counting system at its default i.e.
- Continuous numbering
- have not used other cards from different cameras with images on them,
- have not low level formatted your cards and reset the numbering

then the shutter count is the number assigned to the latest image shot when you see it on your camera viewfinder.  So, your image will display as ???_####.  The #### series is the shutter count up to units of 10,000, while the $$$ is sets of 10,000 images.  Thus, a picture with file name 100-2245, has a shutter count of 2,245; whereas a display of 101-2345, has a shutter count of 12,345 images.

If, on pressing the display button, the image number is not displayed, press the Info button and it will cycle through the display options until it does.

I hope this will be of some assistance

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you have a macOS based computer the ShutterCount software by Dire Studios will work. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

PassionEye
Apprentice

Hi,I use TornadoSCF and it gives me the shutter count and the mirror count as well.

rzstanley
Apprentice

What if you alternated between 2 memory cards on the same camera? Would it still keep count in the same way?

soyseak
Contributor

To retrieve the shutter count on your Canon Rebel T7i, you can use a software application called "EOSInfo" (or "EOS Utility" for newer cameras). Here are the steps to follow:

1. Download and install EOSInfo (or EOS Utility) on your computer.

2. Connect your Canon Rebel T7i to your computer using a USB cable.

3. Open EOSInfo (or EOS Utility) on your computer and select your camera model.

4. Click on the "Camera settings/Remote shooting" button.

5. In the "Camera settings" window, click on the "Shooting Menu" tab.

6. Under "Shooting Menu," click on "Image Count."

7. The shutter count will be displayed under "Image Count."

Note: Some Canon camera models may not be compatible with EOSInfo (or EOS Utility) or may require a different method to retrieve the shutter count. If you are having trouble, check the Canon website for specific instructions on retrieving the shutter count for your camera model. Additionally, keep in mind that using third-party software to check the shutter count may void your camera's warranty, so use caution and proceed at your own risk.

SOY SEAK
Announcements