cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7 not taking pictures in AF mode

MStan
Apprentice

Hello.  I bought my Canon camera several months ago.  I used it twice in AF mode with different lenses and had no problems.  A few weeks ago, I went to use it again and in AF mode and when I click to take a picture it just makes a clicking sound and does not take picture.  It does the same thing when I change to the other lens as well. I attached a picture of what the screen looks likes when I try to take a picture. I was trying to take a picture of a pumpkin which is why it is orange.  In addition to what is on the picture, there is also always a number on the bottom left of the view screen that blinks. I cleared the settings to try and start from scratch, but the same thing is happening. If anyone has any suggestions or can offer any assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you. IMG_2317 (1).jpg

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Are you using live view (rear LCD screen) or viewfinder. If you're trying to picture of something that lacks contrast. The camera will NOT lock focus. Or if there isn't a contrast difference between items.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely agree with Demetrius:  If the issue is happening when you are taking a picture as shown, you have given the focusing system nothing definitive to focus on, exacerbated by it being in Face Tracking mode. 

I suggest you zoom out so you can see the whole pumpkin and either (as Demetrius suggested) use manual focus, or autofocus on the stalk of the pumpkin with something like an f/8 aperture.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I agree with my colleague Trevor. I was going to go another step forward and test the camera OUTSIDE with an item with plenty of contrast such as a tree. Now to the OP your camera requires contrast to focus. For instance the camera won't focus on a clear blue sky. The reason is because the sky lacks contrast. Also how is the lighting inside. What looks dim to you may be inadequate for the camera to lock focus. The camera in that case may require an AF Assist Beam from the built-in flash. Especially when using the viewfinder coupled with a variable aperture lens. Such as the EF-S 18-55mm lens lineup.

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

MStan,

In addition to the advice that others have given you, you might also be running into the problem of minimum focusing distance. That pumpkin really fills up the whole screen. Try backing up a little.

Steve Thomas

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Are you using live view (rear LCD screen) or viewfinder. If you're trying to picture of something that lacks contrast. The camera will NOT lock focus. Or if there isn't a contrast difference between items.

-Demetrius

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely agree with Demetrius:  If the issue is happening when you are taking a picture as shown, you have given the focusing system nothing definitive to focus on, exacerbated by it being in Face Tracking mode. 

I suggest you zoom out so you can see the whole pumpkin and either (as Demetrius suggested) use manual focus, or autofocus on the stalk of the pumpkin with something like an f/8 aperture.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I agree with my colleague Trevor. I was going to go another step forward and test the camera OUTSIDE with an item with plenty of contrast such as a tree. Now to the OP your camera requires contrast to focus. For instance the camera won't focus on a clear blue sky. The reason is because the sky lacks contrast. Also how is the lighting inside. What looks dim to you may be inadequate for the camera to lock focus. The camera in that case may require an AF Assist Beam from the built-in flash. Especially when using the viewfinder coupled with a variable aperture lens. Such as the EF-S 18-55mm lens lineup.

-Demetrius

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

MStan,

In addition to the advice that others have given you, you might also be running into the problem of minimum focusing distance. That pumpkin really fills up the whole screen. Try backing up a little.

Steve Thomas

MStan
Apprentice

Thank you everyone for your help.  With those few adjustments, it seems to be working as it should now.  

Mary

Mary,

Terrific!

Steve Thomas

Announcements