cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Vertical Video Shots

Dsouza
Contributor

I shoot at 1080x1920 (vertical) most of the times for social media contents. However, when I download the videos, they all appear in horizontal on my PC. Is there anyway I can change the orientation in the camera? or maintain the portrait video format and not have to manually rotate the clips in Premier Pro?

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think what is important is does your video playback rotated as you want?  What do the images look like in the camera when you play them back?  Are they oriented the way you want?

What is the output resolution you are looking for?  HD video is 1920x1080, not 1080x1920.   

BTW, in photo modes there is a menu setting that auto-rotates images, which can also be disabled.  I have no idea what effect the setting would have on video, if anything.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I setup my camera Vertically to shoot videos for Instagram reel or YouTube shorts. When I export the videos to my desktop, the videos are saved in 1920 (w) X 1080 (h). I want it in 1920 (h) X 1080 (w). This will make it easier for me to play back the videos on my PC as shot and then import it to Premiere Pro.

Currently im loading all videos to Premiere Pro and rotate all videos manually.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

AFAIK, only the EOS C70 (so far) is built to capture vertical-oriented video.  For all other video equipment, I believe you'll need to rotate the footage in post.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I guess so too. Im unable to get it in vertical format on my computer automatically.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Dsouza,

The EOS R6 is able to save information to rotate videos that were recorded with the camera held vertically.

To change that setting put the camera into P, Tv, Av, or M video mode and press the Menu button. Go to the first page under the yellow wrench tab and there will be an option Add Rotate Info and it will have the icon of a video camera. Select that and Enable it. Once you do that the camera will record information in the file to help video players automatically play it back as a vertical video.

If you want to reference the manual for that information it is on page 723. If you need a copy of the manual it is available HERE. Once you are on the web page click on the gray Manuals button and the one to reference is named . If you do not see the menu option on your camera you may need to update the firmware.

I have it enabled. The videos play back fine on the camera. I setup my camera Vertically to shoot videos for Instagram reel or YouTube shorts. When I export the videos to my desktop, the videos are saved in 1920 (w) X 1080 (h). I want it in 1920 (h) X 1080 (w). This will make it easier for me to play back the videos on my PC as shot and then import it to Premiere Pro.

Currently I'm loading all videos to Premiere Pro and rotate all videos manually.

Hi Dsouza,

Unfortunately there isn't a way to set the resolution to 1920 (h) x 1080 (w) on this camera. The only option is the auto rotate option. If your video editing software is able to read the auto rotate setting in the video it will automatically rotate it vertically. If that software isn't able to read that setting you will still need to manually rotate the video.

I thought as much. Thanks a lot for your response.

Thank you!

Announcements