cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Mk II freezing frequently

Blackscarlet
Contributor

I am a club and event photographer who works 6 nights a week. I have a canon R6 and I kept having freezing issues, where the camara becomes none responsive and i have to take the battery out before it works again. This occurs every night. Depending on the club, up to 8 times an event within a 1hr time frame. I sent the camera to be repaired under warranty and while it was gone I bought the 6d mk ii. Withing the first 25 mins of using it , it began to freeze up as well. unlike the r6 which had an error code , this just has a dark grey screen and yet again i have to remove battery to reset. I use all canon original gear. Is anyone else having same problem?

If this persists I will have to return the camera for a refund.

Update. i also got my 6d back and withing first day it started freezing again but this time not showing an error code.

36 REPLIES 36

Are you using full sized SD Cards or Micro SD Cards in an adapter. I wouldn't use Micro SD Cards in an adapter. They cause all kinds of issues in cameras.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Retired 8/2007-11/8/2022), EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D (Retired 8/2007-5/26/2022) & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Full size sd , I try not to skimp on my gear, so as to not get unwanted issues. I didn't even know you could use micro SD with the adapter.

Most memory card issues in the forum are caused by the user using micro SD cards in an adapter. It's good to see that you're using the correct Full Sized SD cards to eliminate any problems.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Retired 8/2007-11/8/2022), EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D (Retired 8/2007-5/26/2022) & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Do you save your files as RAW or JPG?  

How many of the image correction and noise reduction settings do you have enabled?  

Are you using Continuous Drive mode to capture a [burst] of shots?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Next steps then with v1.7.0

Save or export your settings.  Reset the camera to defaults.  Main settings and "C" settings.  Format the new card and start shooting.  If you do not experience any freezing, you can start making incremental changes one by one and see if one of them triggers an issue.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

All ready and sorted , will try out r6 tonight have a 5 hour shoot, so if their are any problems I am sure I will find out

Update. r6 with new update froze 5 times. 

I am out of options , going to return my r6 mkii.  Will buy it again next year after seeing what updates come along, and also see if canon acknowledges it. I did do a vid but we can't upload it here.

Hello Blackscarfet. I shoot Nightlife photography as well; Four to Five nights a week. I have been considering the new R6 Mark II for an upgrade from my current DSLR. But after reading your comment, I hesitate. My question is: Do you find it hard to focus in near pitch black lighting condition since the flash unit's red emit beam is practically useless when using mirrorless? Also, you mentioned you did a vid. Where may I find that? Kindly DM me the link? 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good Morning,

Very sorry to hear.  Not a happy ending.  You've tried different lenses RF/EF, adapters, cards and FW. ☹️    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yep and even sent the r6 back for repairs and same problem occurred within a  couple of hrs. Ohh how i miss my 5d mk iv. if it had the auto focus tracking and the functionalities of an evf it would be perfect 

Announcements