cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Freezing Up Intermittently

llehmann
Enthusiast

Anybody else having this problem with the Canon R6 freezing up. It usually starts with the camera not focusing. Its also becomes none responsive to mode changes. The on/off button doesnt work. Opening the battery door shuts it off... but still doesn't fix it. Pulling the battery out usually fixs the problem right away. But again... not always and sometimes it take a few battery removals to get it back up and running. 

This has happened while shooting both photo and video. It happens with different lenses. It happens with different memory cards. I can't recreate the problem on command. The camera works 99% of the time. But at least once a wedding shoot, over the period of 6 hours, It freezes up!

In the video below... I was attached to the Ronin gimbal. But it's happened just shooting photos and without the gimbal. Plus, when I open the battery door and try and turn the camera on/off... it still doesn't work. Has nothing to do with that.

I was on firmware version 1.4
I updated the firmware this week to version 1.5.0.
This problem has been happening for a long time... 8 months. Camera is less than a year old.

Again, at last nights wedding... it froze. 

Here is a video that I recorded when it happened.
1. Focus isn't working. Both back button and touch.
2. Display freezes up. You can still see the audio working.

3. On/off doesn't work.

4. open battery door... nothing works.

5. Pull Battery

128 REPLIES 128

Not focus stacking. I use back focus button, but that should not matter. I have seen the camera freeze under different situations. One of ths stituations is when the subject is being tracked. Even before the shutter button is used to take images the camera is frozen. I have lost a few shots because camera refused to work at the time I needed it badly.

I don't believe it is a "buffer" issue if I am not taking pictures.  It freezes up when I am simply pressing the shutter button half way to focus for 3-4 seconds, waiting on the right time to take a picture.  I use SanDisk 200MB/s cards, 3 rated.  They are plenty fast for pictures or shooting 4k video.

llehmann
Enthusiast

Well... as the original creater of this thread, I should comment. 

I have not had any problems with my R6MII... lucky me! 🙂

I haven't had problems enough to comment on with my original R6 over the past year. I am currently on V1.6.0

Don't know if it was a change of firmware, batteries or SD cards? Knock on wood it stays this say. 

Best of luck to you all still getting this problem! As a wedding photographer/videographer, there are times where images/videos are critical and you need your equiptment to work. You can't buy back the "Moments that Matter"! (Photography)  Shout out to my company there! haha 🙂 

DhandaNot
Contributor

This video really describes how the freeze happens. I do not use live view, the experince is the same using EVF.

If you're having a problem with your camera, we highly encourage you to send your camera, along with any accessories - including the lens(es), card(s), adapters, batteries, etc. that you're using when the phenomenon happens, so that our trained technicians can evaluate your entire setup to try to replicate the issue and get to the bottom of this. 

Start the process within your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

tseager
Contributor

I had this issue up to four times a day. My R6 also had an issue where IBIS would distort a photo in odd ways, resulting in part of the image as out of focus in the focal plane, as confirmed by Canon. After sending the camera in twice, Canon notice I was using Servo focus mode for static compositions.

I since have switched to using One Shot mode for most of my images, but do use servo mode for sports.

R6 lockups may have several causes, as evidenced in this thread, and there may not be a correlation between lockups and using Servo mode. But thankfully, I have not experienced a lockup in many months.

millerckon
Apprentice

I have two R6s and both have this same exact problem. Sending in cameras for repair means that I cannot work. 

Although I sent my camera body in twice and Canon diagnosed the focus issue, they did not perform any repairs on my camera body. Their recommendation was to limit the use of Servo mode, which I had as a default for all shooting. Perhaps as a beneficial side effect of not using Servo mode, my camera no longer locks. up.

Interestingly, as to the focusing issue, they did diagnose and repair my RF to EF adapter, which they said contributed to the focusing problem.

Tseager.  My camera has frozen up 4 or 5 times.  As a wedding photographer, when my camera freezes up, it is never a good time.  But it has never frozen up in servo mode.  I only use servo when the wedding party is walking up the aisle.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

There are certainly a few options for that   Send in one camera at a time.  Rent a second body for a short period of time while the repairs are being performed.  Buy a new camera and sell one of the older ones when it comes back.  The turnaround time for repairs is pretty quick, especially during the winter months.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements