cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 on Win 11 no longer tethers with other software

Nemo
Contributor

I've been in a quandary since early this year. I have always used a myriad of different software to tether, depending upon my needs. The software I used most are Capture One, Smart Shooter 4, DSLR Remote, and Canon EOS Utilities. Back in the winter, I accidentally and stupidly upgraded my Dell XPS15 2-in-1 from Windows 10 to Windows 11. By the time I needed to tether/shoot, it was too late to reverse. I have never had issues with any of this software using Windows 10. Windows 11 has been a totally different experience. I am totally unable to connect/work with any other software than EOS Utilities. While the latter is decent for many shoots, it doesn't provide me with the flexibility and power of some of the other software. Interestingly, the only other software that seems to work (at least periodically) is a program called DSLR Remote from BreezeSys. I think one reason that works is because it uses the Canon-developed API (or at least that's my assumption).

Now what happens is as soon as I connect and turn on the camera, I get the computer icon and battery on the back of the camera. (See photo) No matter what software I use, none of it connects to the camera (with the exception of DSLR Remote) -- I just get that graphic on the back of the camera. As soon as I connect to EOS Utilities, the graphic goes away and I can see all the camera settings.

R5 connected to computer.jpgR5 connected to EOS Util.jpg

I've been able to create a workaround that, well, works, but it's not my optimal workflow. (Most of my shoots are done to cards, but I shoot an average of 1-2 jobs a month where I need to tether, often for 5-6 days.) Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone else then solved the issue? I can't seem to find any solutions in my various searches online. Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried removing and then re-installing the software?

Great suggestion, but yes, I have. That includes new versions of the software as well. In the case of Capture One, the software will read camera settings, and I can even use live view. However, captures can ONLY be made via the computer, not via the camera shutter button, and frames are sent to the SD cars in the camera. The camera also always shows “BUSY” on the top when the shutter or any other camera buttons are pushed. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you connecting via Wi-Fi or USB cable?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This could an unfortunate error.  Most of the Canon apps that interact with the hardware (USB ports and graphics cards) are not compatible with an upgraded OS.  

However, I would expect Windows to at least recognize that a device has been connected to the USB port.  Double check the camera is not in Wi-Fi or Bluetooth modes.  Try a different cable.  Try a different USB port on the laptop, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Nemo wrote:

R5 connected to EOS Util.jpg

. Thanks!

Why does it look like the Wi-Fi antenna icon is being display in the center of the screen?

Nemo
Contributor

Thanks for the comments. I only shoot tethered (wired), never wifi -- it's too bloody slow. Turning the radio off has no effect one way or the other since I'm physically tethered. My problem is NOT with the Canon software. The Canon software is the ONLY software that actually works, it's with other programs such as Capture One and Smart Shooter. Capture One has some functionality -- I can do a live view and see the settings, but I can't always change them in the software, and any attempt to take a shot with the camera or alter settings on the camera results in "BUSY" on the top LCD. If I am able to take a shot with the camera shutter button (hit or miss and only during live view) it saves to the card, not the computer. 

For Smart Shooter, it will sometimes show the camera settings, but any capture is impossible. None of these issues happened before Windows 11, and all have been ongoing since my tragic upgrade to [an] operating system like Win 11. Win 11 was definately a move to dumb down the OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Turning the radio off has no effect one way or the other since I'm physically tethered."

Keep in mind that if you turn Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on in the camera, the connection via USB cable will be lost. Does running your software in compatibility mode help?

Nemo
Contributor

FYI - I'm not a novice to all this. I've worked with computers since the dawn of the PC age, built my own since 1984, worked with Photoshop since 1992, and Capture One since the EOS 1D. But, I've never come across anything like this. I'm truly stymied, almost to the point of having to replace my laptop as a last resort.

@Nemo wrote:

FYI - I'm not a novice to all this. I've worked with computers since the dawn of the PC age, built my own since 1984, worked with Photoshop since 1992, and Capture One since the EOS 1D. But, I've never come across anything like this. I'm truly stymied, almost to the point of having to replace my laptop as a last resort.

If you are as experienced as you say, then you are fully aware that issues with your third party software is not a Canon problem.  It is an issue with your third party software.  

Since you say that the Canon software works, then all is well with the Canon software and your camera hardware.  Troubleshooting third party apps is not normally practiced in these forums.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements