cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 on Win 11 no longer tethers with other software

Nemo
Contributor

I've been in a quandary since early this year. I have always used a myriad of different software to tether, depending upon my needs. The software I used most are Capture One, Smart Shooter 4, DSLR Remote, and Canon EOS Utilities. Back in the winter, I accidentally and stupidly upgraded my Dell XPS15 2-in-1 from Windows 10 to Windows 11. By the time I needed to tether/shoot, it was too late to reverse. I have never had issues with any of this software using Windows 10. Windows 11 has been a totally different experience. I am totally unable to connect/work with any other software than EOS Utilities. While the latter is decent for many shoots, it doesn't provide me with the flexibility and power of some of the other software. Interestingly, the only other software that seems to work (at least periodically) is a program called DSLR Remote from BreezeSys. I think one reason that works is because it uses the Canon-developed API (or at least that's my assumption).

Now what happens is as soon as I connect and turn on the camera, I get the computer icon and battery on the back of the camera. (See photo) No matter what software I use, none of it connects to the camera (with the exception of DSLR Remote) -- I just get that graphic on the back of the camera. As soon as I connect to EOS Utilities, the graphic goes away and I can see all the camera settings.

R5 connected to computer.jpgR5 connected to EOS Util.jpg

I've been able to create a workaround that, well, works, but it's not my optimal workflow. (Most of my shoots are done to cards, but I shoot an average of 1-2 jobs a month where I need to tether, often for 5-6 days.) Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone else then solved the issue? I can't seem to find any solutions in my various searches online. Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Absolutely, I’m aware it’s a third party issue, not Canon. I find it odd, however, that all programs worked fine under Win 10. Most Cano shooters I know use third party software, however none run Windows 11, so I can’t ask if they ran into the issue. Hence, asking on the forum in case anyone else had a similar issue. If someone is running Win 11 and no issues, then I’m starting to wonder if it’s hardware issue related to my Dell. A suggestion was made to run the software in compatibility mode. Great idea. I frankly hadn’t thought about that for some reason. I have an ancient checking printing program, Versa Check 2002, that still works because I run in compatibility mode for Win XP (on my desktop). I have some still-life shots I need to do over the weekend, so I’ll see if that might solve the issue. 

Announcements