cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Image Ghosting

MrJ1
Contributor

Could use a little help to figure out what’s going on with the R5. Some of my images are showing ghosting along the edges that are not in the focus plane. Also noticing the branches are taking on a surreal look. Not getting this on the 5D Mk IV as a comparison. My set-up on the r5 is as follows.. R5 with EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon lens adapter, shot at 1/200 sec. @ f5.6, ISO 100 using a Canon 600EX II-RT flash set to high speed. 

Anyone having this same issue or know what may be causing this, and is there a fix?

Thanks for the help and input. Ref. image attached.

Ghosting on branch.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Given this is a JPG file, and somewhat downsized, it's challenging for us to give a definitive statement on the results.  Has the image been through post processing before posting?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for your question Tronhard. The image shown has been cropped in to show the ghosting along the branch easier. It was processed in LR to add contrast and exposure adjustments to better show the ghosting. The ghosting shows up in the RAW image as well. After more experimenting I tend to think that the ghosting is being caused by the flash and outdoor conditions.  I have read that the older version I of the 100-400 L lens may cause some flare when used with a flash and back lighting combination. Any additional thoughts on your end?

Yes, that seems more likely.  I had suspected that the PP had brought out the ghosting, but wanted to make sure to what degree.  The MkI version was majorly improved in the MkII version, I traded the former in for the latter and it definitely is an improvement.  I have used the MkII with the R-series bodies with no issues, although I shoot in available light.  I am just going out to do some more shooting with the MkII and my R6 right now, actually.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements