cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Freezing up

mxmbtm
Contributor

Hey there! I am experiencing a very frustrating issue with my Canon R5, mainly when shooting video. The camera will record sometimes only for a second or two, and sometimes for half a minute, and then suddenly freeze up and need to be restarted with the clip being shot nowhere to be found. This issue recently has become so unbearable that I sometimes need to restart the camera 3-5 times to get a simple 5-second clip. To even think of recording for minutes seems impossible. Occasionally the camera will also freeze up when shooting photos stating "Err 70. An error prevented shooting. Turn the camera off and on again or re-install the battery."

- This happens with multiple memory cards (CF and SD)
- Link to the CF-Express card I currently use: https://a.co/d/9aeG9TQ 
- I am using a Canon battery
- Seems to happen more often when autofocus is enabled, image is overexposed slightly (bright sky), and lens stabilization is on. 
- Occurs with all lenses (Tamron 70-200 2.8, Canon RF 24 1.8, Canon EF 50 1.8) 
- I have tried resetting the camera using this method: Reset camera under wrench menu 5 “Basic Settings only”, clear custom functions and custom settings under next menu (camera) 3&5. Turn camera off. Remove battery pack, memory card and lens. Hold down shutter button for 20 seconds. Put battery, memory card and lens back and turn camera back on.

If anyone can offer some help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

23 REPLIES 23

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

We'd appreciate knowing what Canon says after the camera has been evaluated.  I hope the issue can be identified and resolved quickly for you

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I will definitely let you know! Thanks, I hope so too!

keylanh
Apprentice

I am having this issue all of the sudden as well! It really messed up a live panel discussion that I was filming. Luckily I had my 6K Pro as a main wide camera but I lost about 15 min of the 1 hour shoot because the camera kept freezing. 

It only seems to be happening with video recording. No such issues with photos. 

Shooting on a variety of V90 and CFExpress cards from SanDisk and Lexar. 

It is a very new issue and I’d love any insight you all may have!

Cameras: 2x R5, C70, 5D IV
Lenses: RF 28-70 f/2 L, RF 85 f/1.2 L, EF 11-24 f/4 L, EF 17 TSE L, EF 24 TSE L, EF 135 f/2 L, EF 70-200iii f/2.8 L, EF 100 Macro f/2.8 L

hardeepssingh
Contributor

I have same issue. Using for photos only. Bought in Dec 23, First unit had purple scren issue, exchanged for new unit. This have err70 issue, re insert battery. I am using with RF 24-70 F2.8. No fix yet. Send back to get money back, not looking at repair at all Its a brand new unit.Tried every solution over the internet. No Luck.

Announcements