cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Freezing up

mxmbtm
Contributor

Hey there! I am experiencing a very frustrating issue with my Canon R5, mainly when shooting video. The camera will record sometimes only for a second or two, and sometimes for half a minute, and then suddenly freeze up and need to be restarted with the clip being shot nowhere to be found. This issue recently has become so unbearable that I sometimes need to restart the camera 3-5 times to get a simple 5-second clip. To even think of recording for minutes seems impossible. Occasionally the camera will also freeze up when shooting photos stating "Err 70. An error prevented shooting. Turn the camera off and on again or re-install the battery."

- This happens with multiple memory cards (CF and SD)
- Link to the CF-Express card I currently use: https://a.co/d/9aeG9TQ 
- I am using a Canon battery
- Seems to happen more often when autofocus is enabled, image is overexposed slightly (bright sky), and lens stabilization is on. 
- Occurs with all lenses (Tamron 70-200 2.8, Canon RF 24 1.8, Canon EF 50 1.8) 
- I have tried resetting the camera using this method: Reset camera under wrench menu 5 “Basic Settings only”, clear custom functions and custom settings under next menu (camera) 3&5. Turn camera off. Remove battery pack, memory card and lens. Hold down shutter button for 20 seconds. Put battery, memory card and lens back and turn camera back on.

If anyone can offer some help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

23 REPLIES 23

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, it was a personal decision of mine to go with Angelbird over Sandisk.  I didn't like what Sandisk did for some of the cards regarding hiding the sustained write information.

Are you doing low-level formats of the cards in camera before using them on projects?  Perhaps they are fragmented and thus leading to slower writes?

Also note that heat could also be at play here. Are you filming in a hot environment and/or is the camera generating quite a bit of heat? There may be protections being employed that perhaps is reducing write speed as well.

One other thing to check... are you only recording video to your main CFexpress card? Or are you also capturing secondary footage to the camera's SD card slot?  Just wondering if that could also be leading to increased heat if writing to both cards.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes, I am doing low-level formats. No, heat is not the issue. The camera will freeze seconds after being turned on, I've filmed in hot, cold, and normal environments. Heat is not a factor. I am only recording to one card, I believe. 

I did a 7-minute-long 4k 120 recording, with no issues, so that's good news. But the camera did freeze minutes earlier.

About the only things I can think to try are resetting the camera back to defaults. Perhaps there is some setting that is causing the issue.

Also, do you see this issue with more than one lens? Are you using IBIS?

--
Ricky

I’ve reset the camera back to defaults multiple times to no avail. The issue persists whether I use my Tamron EF 70-200 2.8, Canon RF 24 1.8, or Canon EF 50 1.8. I have not tested with or without ibis, but I’m assuming resetting the camera would fix any issues with that. 

mxmbtm
Contributor

So I did some testing with the new card, and for the most part, the issue has gone away. BUT the camera still does freeze. Happened 3 times, once in a minute and a half into 4k 120, again 4 seconds in 4k 120, and a third time 30 seconds in 4k 120. Otherwise, it seems to be much better. Though, the issue comes and goes so who knows if anything is changed. Maybe if I had bought a supported card from Canon there would be no issues, but I have no idea. Debating on returning the Angelbird and getting a Sandisk Extreme Pro. 

So this is not a solution, but progress. I'll give another update after a bit more use with the new card.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I think its time to get Canon Support involved.  

A properly functioning camera doesn't freeze.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Perhaps you are right. Something I was dreading. I don’t really have the luxury to lose my camera for a month or even a few weeks at the moment. 

While it would incur an extra cost, perhaps rent an EOS R5 and use that with the same memory cards, lenses, etc. for a bit.  That will help rule out if this is something with your current R5.

Rental could also help if you find that you will need to send yours in for repair.

--
Ricky

Not a bad idea, maybe I'll give that a go. Thanks!

mxmbtm
Contributor

The issue is almost worse now. Again the camera is freezing seconds into recording. I'm returning the Anglebird card and sending the camera off to Canon. 

Announcements