cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5, ALL-I and FPS

brittany_west
Apprentice

Hello,

Does anyone know if you have the FHD, ALL-I settings selected that it limits you to 30fps? For some reason my R5 doesn't allow recording in 60fps with these selected. It will say on the screen that I am recording in 59. fps but when I check the saved video it is always saved as 29. fps.

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What you're seeing is NOT a problem the camera is working as designed. The camera manual highlights this restriction. The camera will save the frame rate as 29.97 fps for NTSC/ ATSC video & 25 fps for PAL/ Secam video.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 173212.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

This isn't correct.  Brittany isn't recording in any of the shown high-frame rates (100 fps or higher).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

This is the closest explanation I can find. Unless there other limitations on a different page. For instance movie cropping.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Right. I’m recording in 60fps. All firmware has been updated. When I switch it to IPB then it will record and save as 60fps. I was on the phone with tech support earlier today and we couldn’t come up with why it wouldn’t save as ALL-I in 60fps.

Is it possible that the software you're using isn't compatible with 59.94 fps. So the software maybe converting to 29.97 fps so you can view it possibly? 

-Demetrius

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When you say "check the saved video", is that on your computer? If so, what software are you using to view that footage?   Since the camera is displaying 59.94, that should be the actual frame-rate of the footage.

I don't see anything in the User Manual about limitations of the ALL-I codec regarding 1080p (FHD) footage.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Both in camera and in premiere pro has the video been recorded at 29fps. Even though the settings are as displayed on the image.

IMG_2983.jpeg

Are you sure Premiere Pro isn't converting it to 29.97 fps. It is also possible that the camera's LCD screen only supports 29.97 fps. Also most camera rear LCD screens are low resolution. I mean quite low by modern standards even for a professional camera. I have seen high ends cameras in the same tier as the R5 with 640x480p (VGA) displays. VGA (640x480p) which dates back to 1987 the launch of EOS AF SLRs. No computer monitor or TV uses such a low resolution today.

-Demetrius

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I just spent time surfing through the manual as well, but everything looks like you can get 59.97 or 50p using FHD ALL-I.

Its not until you get into the high frame rates 100 fps and above where thngs can happen.  I also noticed a "Caution" which states a slow card less than class 10 for SD or class 3 on UHS can cause a slow down, but the camera would likely warn on this.  

It did say that limited computer processing power can cause playback issues at 59.97 but again, I would expect to see a warning in Premiere if this were the case.

Brittany, save your settings off to a memory card and reset the camera. Now retest and let us know if your results differ.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements