cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R3 Q functions, Menu Buttons, image playback suddenly stopped working

imagedriven
Contributor

I was on a shoot with my R3 and on the display, the square with the Q is grayed out, as opposed to white when normally working. The Q-button, Menu-button, image playback-button, and the rate-button are all unresponsive. I can still BB focus, change camera settings, and even use the info button. I can take pictures as well. The rest of the camera works just fine.

I successfully updated the firmware (not sure why I was able to access the menus that one time), but after the update the same buttons are unresponsive. I've tried the following:

• Shut off the camera and replaced the battery with the new one (several times, with differing waiting periods
  • Swapped out to new unformatted cards
  • Used different lenses

I brought it to my local camera store and none of the Canon experts have ever experienced this. They also tried everything to no avail.

Obviously I can't access the menus to try to reset the camera. Anyone have any experience with this and how to fix before I send it off?

IMG_2221.JPG

15 REPLIES 15

I am not sure why the quick control customization would change without me actually going into them in the first place. I have shot on Canons for over 10 years and never came across this. I am hoping there is a way to reset the camera using button combinations rather than only going in through the menus.

imagedriven
Contributor

I asked this as a reply, but is there a way to reset the camera without using the menus? Button combinations?

Hi imagedriven,

Without access to the menu, there is no way to reset the camera unfortunately.

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello imagedriven,

I would suggest trying the camera with a fully-charged battery only, no lens or cards, or anything on the hotshoe. If the menu button and others are still unresponsive, then the camera would need to be sent in to our factory service center. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi imagedriven,

The newer body's and software are extremely complex.  My body has 13 customizable buttons, many with multiple options.  I'm sure the R3 is similar.  We've seen a few instances of this or similar behavior with newer software releases.  While there was a loss of functionality or control, the ability to navigate remained and allowed recovery via a reset.  How you managed to update the firmware was a feat.  

I'd try as John_Q suggested with the cameras stripped.  Try in "C" modes, turning the multi-function lock off. and powering on the camera with incorrectly formatted media.  HPFS+, NTFS, etc, anything that might kick-start the menu selection ability.  Try the mode dial, main dial and the rear control dial.  Pressing the set button occasionally.  You've probably been through this, but we are hoping you can come out of it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rhettcutrell
Apprentice

Hi imagedriven. Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the exact same issue with my R5C.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements