cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R - images appearing dull after uploading to iPhoto

megansegale
Contributor

Hello,

I recently switched from a 6D mark II camera to the mirrorless r camera. I have enjoyed using the canon r but the pictures I take appear dull and faded once I upload them to iPhoto. I never had a problem with image quality or richness of color with my old camera. I am so frustrated. I figured the r was a better camera and I am really feeling like I should go back to dslr and this point because I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. All of my camera settings are fine- it's something not the editing side. Can someone help!? 

I've included an untouched photo that I took today - so bland. ew. 106A7382.jpeg

15 REPLIES 15

You have a good reply here from @rs-eos . It seems to me you are doing the right thing by exposing for what is important in the scene.

I have the camera set to use the "standard" picture style, but I have also used "faithful" and I use auto white balance in the camera. I have the camera set to save both raw and JPEG and usually change the white balance in the free to download Canon DPP program. The Apple photos.app also seems to me to work well with Canon raw files. The key is that the raw file allows one to change the white balance later after the photo has been made. The in camera JPEG provides a preview.

The Canon DPP software will enable you to recover highlights and extend the dynamic range slightly.

https://cam.start.canon/en/S002/manual/html/UG-04_EditImage_0040.html#EditImage_0050_11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This image looks overexposed.  I would use 1-pt (center) AF, One Shot AF mode, and Evaluative Metering for this type of shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

WoodyH
Contributor

You question reminds me I should try to learn iPhoto, since it came with the computer.  I use Adobe PhotoShop Elements and find it easy for most everything, and was cheap to acquire.  If this image is from the camera then White Balance contributes to the problem.  Set your White Balance to Shade or Cloudy (take a look at the cameras preview and make a judgement).  Or, try AWB, Auto White Balance;  I have surprisingly good luck with mine.  Also try setting Exposure to minus 1/3 or 1/2;  then go to Bracket and set for 3 exposures with a change of at least a half stop between shots.  Then change Single Shot to Continuous Slow.  The camera will quickly take three images, the first at —1/3. the second at almost —1 f/stop, the third at slightly brighter than normal.  (You do have to anticipated that the camera will be continuing to fire after the first shot and hold it steady on the subject!). This will give you some renditions to choose from.

WooyH here.  I use Neutral (Red panel, 6) tap Info to adjust, set 2 points low on Contrast, 2 points high on Saturation.  Neutral is easy to edit.  For the existing image, heighten the Saturation and adjust Color Balance, (go to Hue/Saturation, boost overall Saturation, go to Color Sliders, reduce Blue and probably the Cyan);  go to Levels and move Middle Gray towards .80 or so.  See if this helps.

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 5.17.04 PM, edited.png

Don't bother with iPhoto, it has been replaced with Photos.

While iPhoto/Photos is a serviceable editor, its real strength is its organizational capabilities. By all means, learn iPhoto/Photos, but keep PSE for heavier duty editing.

Announcements