cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R, HDMI, Photo Mode

MrSP
Contributor

Canon R, Photo Mode, HDMI out active

So, silly me, I kind of need to take photos while doing an HDMI out to a monitor.
Sort of a tether but just to a monitor, no image transfer whatsoever.

Problem is both the EVF and the backscreen are disabled when HDMI device is attached. (PHOTO MODE)

In other words,

I need the camera to keep working normally while it also sends a signal to HDMI.

It' works in Video mode, why not photo ?

In essenece, I really need to see the photos up on the screen ( and everything else ) while using the camera.
Viewfinder and all.. I really don't care about video lag, battery drain, anything else.

Random fact

Tested this "feature" on my Panasonic GH5 and it works ( EFV or backscreen are functional while also HDMI is monitor connected )

Please don't tell me it's not possible, and if you do, where do I file a bug report ? 🙂

Thank you for your suggesitons !

Hop Hop
8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"It' works in Video mode, why not photo ?"

Resolution.  The HDMI output is capable of only video resolutions.  A single Full HD video frame is equivalent to a 2MP still image.  You will not get the high MP resolution on the HDMI port that the camera can capture in still images.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your answer,

I only need a live preview, low resolution over HDMI. Don't need anything fancy.

When I push the button to take a photo, I really don't care what the camera does, it can shut of HDMI if it needs to.

So, if the camera wants unimpeded access to the processor and that means HDMI must be out for a bit, go nuts.

In between though, or until I take the photo, I need my HDMI to work together with the rest of the camera.
Or, should I say, I need the camera to work when an HDMI monitor is connected.

May I make a note here, Panasonic GH5 does exactly what I need in photo mode, and has a little blackout when I take a photo.

There are some reasons to have this.
- I still want to touch control over what the camera does in photo mode

- Touch focus is off - I need it.

- for educational puposes: the students can see what the camera does while I control it and look into the camera

- I cannot frame and focus while looking at the said monitor to take a photo

- smetimes the HDMI monitor is out of reach, I still need my back screen / EVF

- I cold do thehering but that's not what I want - I don't want to carry with me a laptop or any computer if I want to do a demonstration

I feel like it's a resonable feature to ask, nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks again everyone for your answers.

Hop Hop

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

I haven't been able to find anything specifically saying that its not possible, but page 251 of the manual (https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300032123/08/eosr-ug9-en.pdf) is where you can set the different HDMI output settings and it specifically references movies only which would lead me to believe that this is only the case for movie shooting.

You can also try changing the HDMI Output Resolution (p.395) but there don't seem to be any notes indicating this would affect the EVF/LCD performance.

Thaks for your answer.
I will have a look at those settings.

If you check my answer to Waddizzle, there's many reasons why this should be available. It also may clarify what I need and why.

There must be a really good reason not to be have EVF or backscreen while HDMI monitor is connected.

A small blackout or freeze of the images is not a reason to disable the backscreen.
May I point out, HDMI works together with the camera in video mode, also I presume, 4k video.

Thanks !

Hop Hop

@MrSP wrote:

Thaks for your answer.
I will have a look at those settings.

If you check my answer to Waddizzle, there's many reasons why this should be available. It also may clarify what I need and why.

There must be a really good reason not to be have EVF or backscreen while HDMI monitor is connected.

A small blackout or freeze of the images is not a reason to disable the backscreen.
May I point out, HDMI works together with the camera in video mode, also I presume, 4k video.

Thanks !

Apparently you did not understand my initial reply.

"Resolution.  The HDMI output is capable of only video resolutions.  A single Full HD video frame is equivalent to a 2MP still image.  You will not get the high MP resolution on the HDMI port that the camera can capture in still images."

When the camera is in video mode, the resolution is HDMI, which is equivalent to a 2MP still image.  When the camera is photo mode, the output resolution of the HDMI is not going to suddenly jump to 30MP.  

This is how electronics work.  A firmware update is not going to change how the electronics work.  I suggest that you find a work around in your workflow.  This is how the camera works, and will always work.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Actually, if the made the DIGIC chips Programmable Gate Arrays, you could change something like this with a firmware update.

Maybe I am missing something, in all sincerity, I want to clarify this and maybe you, , can help me understand.

"Resolution.  The HDMI output is capable of only video resolutions.
I agree.

A single Full HD video frame is equivalent to a 2MP still image.
Agree, and it goes to up to 4k

You will not get the high MP resolution on the HDMI port that the camera can capture in still images."
This is fuzzy.
I don't want a 30Mp photo out of HDMI.
I only want HDMI to put a live image one a screen while I set my shot.

When the camera is in video mode, the resolution is HDMI, which is equivalent to a 2MP still image.
When the camera is photo mode, the output resolution of the HDMI is not going to suddenly jump to 30MP.  
Why would it jump to 30MP? I don't want it to.

All I want is my photos in the camera while HDMI does it's job: 2MP
Picture the backscreen of the camera .. just splited to a second monitor.

This is how electronics work.  A firmware update is not going to change how the electronics work.  I suggest that you find a work around in your workflow.  This is how the camera works, and will always work.
Explore Magic Lantern software, it enables RAW video on a 5D3. And i don't even think it qualifies as firmware. It's stuff that runs on top of Canon's crap. It makes the camera 10x better DESPITE Canon crap.
You're setting the bar really low on what firmware can do. I am not saying firmware rewires things, but it's the closest thing to it.

I will have to work around until Canon moves it's hiney.

And I promise I will work harder so I can move to a better system.

Again,the stuff I want happens in video mode, while recording video, at 4k.
Also HDMI output can be 4k 10 bit. ( not while recording in camera ) and yet, you don't loose EVF or backscreen display in video mode.

Does anyone here speak Japanese to talk to the folks at Canon, in Japan ?
Thanks !

Hop Hop

this feature TOTALLY needs to be added..  come on canon lets make this work!

Announcements