cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS m50 mark 1 keeps turning off when streaming

lucasmclean22
Contributor

Ive tried everything possible to prevent this from happening. Im using my m50 to stream on Stream Labs. After 30 min it goes to a black screen, and I have to click the shutter button to turn it back on. Not fun to do at all 🙂 I have it connected via usb to HDMI into an El Gato Cam Link 4k. Power adapter plugged in. I have all the stand by settings off. Ive watched ton of youtube videos and cant seem to find an answer if its possible to make this happen. The quality is awesome but I really want to avoid having to shutter 5-6 times when streaming. Thanks for any help!

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using the record button to live stream? If so, there is a 30-minute limitation in the camera for recording. I think you can live stream just using live view without recording. This may make a difference.

I have the setting on top of the camera on the little camera icon. Is the live view a different setting?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have that camera to confirm. I was asking if you are in the video record mode for your live streaming. If so, you are limited to 30 minutes of recording. If you can get video out on the HDMI cable without recording, I don't think that you will encounter the 30-minute limitation.

its not recording its live streaming just basically using the canon as a webcam so to speak.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you aren't using movie record on the camera during live streaming.

no but im a bit confused. should I be?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If recording video, there is a 30-minute recording time, so no, you shouldn't use that mode. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Canon has a Webcam Utility that uses the camera's USB connector to output video to your computer's USB port. If all else fails, you could try using Canon's Webcam Utility and USB cable without the Cam Link adaptor. There should be no 30 minute video limit using this method.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cameras/eos-webcam-utility#model 

All power saving features are off as well. And I’ve tried to use the EOS utility app but it never recognizes my camera. I tried using the EOS utility 3 and no matter what I do it won’t ever show my camera as connected 😞

click here to view the gallery
Announcements