cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R7 Autofocus Tracking help needed

caiocarvalhopho
Contributor

Hello, I m photographing a cicling race tomorrow and would like to have an opnion on what tracking should I use for that. People or Vehicules? With or without Eye/Spot detection? 

Its a fast triatlhon race very near to the start they will be fast and will be cars passing by too...

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You have a shoot tomorrow?  Do not learn on the job.

If you are familiar with the AF tracking in Canon’s DSLRs, but not the eye tracking AF in the EOA R MILC camera bodes, then I would suggest that you disable eye and face tracking.  Allow the camera to do its’ natural thing, focus on the closest thing to the camera, which will be your desired subject at least 90% of the time.

I would not worry about eye tracking on cyclists.  First and foremost, most of them will probably be wearing some type of shaded eye protection.  Two, the cyclists will probably be too far away for you to focus on the eyeball, even if they were not wearing sunglasses.

Just be cognizant of the working DoF for each shot, and adjust your aperture accordingly for the results that you desire.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You have a shoot tomorrow?  Do not learn on the job.

If you are familiar with the AF tracking in Canon’s DSLRs, but not the eye tracking AF in the EOA R MILC camera bodes, then I would suggest that you disable eye and face tracking.  Allow the camera to do its’ natural thing, focus on the closest thing to the camera, which will be your desired subject at least 90% of the time.

I would not worry about eye tracking on cyclists.  First and foremost, most of them will probably be wearing some type of shaded eye protection.  Two, the cyclists will probably be too far away for you to focus on the eyeball, even if they were not wearing sunglasses.

Just be cognizant of the working DoF for each shot, and adjust your aperture accordingly for the results that you desire.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah great, last race i got the best results with Tracking disabled, tought was a marathon. Tought Cicling could be different but looks like the best way is the old way heheeh thank you

If you turn on tracking and choose Vehicles... it will still prioritise people, if people are in or on those vehicles. The R7 has a vast array of AF options and it is critical you read the advanced user guide or at least watch many YouTube videos or you will literally miss out on so much!! Below is a screenshot from the user guide and shows the priority the camera puts on subjects, per Subject Detection mode. As you can see, even in vehicle or animal detection modes, people are always first priority. To be honest with you, I have not found this to be the case with animals. I have shot people with dogs and the camera has ALWAYS gone straight to the dogs:

BrianDavies_0-1674654490716.png

Announcements