cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R6 mark 2 raw files noisy and grainy.

Terry_R6mk2
Contributor

(fyi-I have open this new discussion as a reference point)

Seems like I am having the same issue with the grainy photos, I shoot in raw, for wildlife (birds) in flight I shoot manual, auto ISO with shutter speed above 1200 for eagles, ducks and 5000 for hummingbirds. The shots look clear and clean when taking them and even after in the camera but when downloaded to my PC, it shows as below, even after processing in lightroom, it still does not look as sharp as should be.

Using Canon EOS R6 mk2 with Sigma 150mm - 600mm contemporary glass.

Terry_R6mk2_0-1705358413970.jpeg

Terry_R6mk2_1-1705358413964.jpeg

Not sure why the raw is so grainy, anyone having the same issue?  

"Just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, just take another shot.” – Anonymous.
9 REPLIES 9

Danfaz
Enthusiast

ISO 25,600 most likely. Looks good in camera because it's applying noise reduction.

I limited the auto ISO to 6400 and will continue to test it up and down.

much thanks

"Just focus on what's important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, just take another shot.” – Anonymous.

Cool, let us know if it helps!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Why have you opened up a new discussion - "as a reference point" is not very explanatory, what will likely happen is that you get two concurrent broken conversations with folks getting confused between the two.   Strongly encourage you to delete this duplicate thread and stick to your original.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Why have you opened up a new discussion - "as a reference point" is not very explanatory, what will likely happen is that you get two concurrent broken conversations with folks getting confused between the two.   Strongly encourage you to delete this duplicate thread and stick to your original.

Original is sometimes hard to find after moderator moves it.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/EOS-R6-RAW-Images-Consistently-Turnin... 

--- https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/index.html
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rsok.com%2F%7Ejrm%2findex.html

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"ISO 25,600 most likely"   Not most likely, it is absolutely the reason.

This is one of the problems of using a lens at f11.  Selecting f8 and 1/1600 (which should easily be fast enough SS) would permit the ISO to be lowered to 6,400. One of the 150-600mm super zooms could likely permit an ISO of  3200 or nearly anyway.

If you shoot raw and have Photoshop, have you tried color noise reduction in the Camera Raw filter? 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree with Ernie that given the lighting conditions (and aperture limitations), you need to drop the shutter speed.  1/1600 is fast enough to freeze the subject motion and you would probably be OK at 1/1000 for many captures.

Attached eagles were captured with 1DX II and III bodies with EF 400 f2.8 and EF 800 f5.6 glass using 1/1600 shutter speed.  Had lighting conditions required, I wouldn't have hesitated to drop down to 1/1000 or 1/800 as needed.

Rodger

1DX II, EF 400 f2.8 +1.4x, f5.6, 1/16001DX II, EF 400 f2.8 +1.4x, f5.6, 1/16001DX II, EF 400 f2.8 +1.4x, f5.6, 1/16001DX II, EF 400 f2.8 +1.4x, f5.6, 1/16001DX III, EF 800 f5.6, f6.3, 1/6001DX III, EF 800 f5.6, f6.3, 1/6001DX III, EF 800 f5.6, f6.3, 1/16001DX III, EF 800 f5.6, f6.3, 1/1600

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head, my shutter was a bit to high.

Much appreciated.

I think that you are right, I will test it again.

much appreciated.

Announcements