cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R Screen Fault

MattLaverick
Contributor

I have a 2 month old EOS R. I went out this morning to take some pics, got back home and copied them to my PC. After playing in lightroom for an hour I unplugged the camera and when I tried to turn it on nothing happened. Both the rear screen and the EVF are completely black. I can see the settings changing on the top LCD screen.

When I switch to video the LCD and EVF work as expected for the most part. I can see the live view, change settings and record footage but when I press the preview or menu button the screens go completely black again.

I want to try a factory reset but as far as I can tell this is only possible through the menu, which I can't access. Has anyone experienced anything like this or do you know of a way of resetting without using the menu? As far as I can tell I don't have access to the cmos battery.

Here is a video of the problem: https://youtu.be/J-PCdZO53Vo

13 REPLIES 13

Geoff79
Contributor

I just got directed to this thread as I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Notice these posts are from a few years ago and just want to confirm no miracle solution has come to light in-between then and now? I'm resigned to the fact I'll need to send it in for repairs, but was hoping for even some kind of temporary fix due to a possibly once-off trip coming up this weekend, which I'm devastated to not be bringing my camera to. 

No, I had to send mine to Canon in the end. They had to replace the motherboard. Wasn't that expensive to get done but took about 8 weeks to get the camera back. This was 2 over ago. I am in Ireland and it had to go to the UK and since they left the EU there was all sorts of problems getting it back through customs. It Sat there for weeks waiting to get cleared

What about a rental?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I did actually look up rental options, but the costs are not sensible. Combining the repair costs with hiring a camera for a weekend, the argument to just buy a new one would be valid.

I do have an old 70D which I will resurrect, which has it's own issues... but is better than a camera that I can't see through. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements