cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R Screen Fault

MattLaverick
Contributor

I have a 2 month old EOS R. I went out this morning to take some pics, got back home and copied them to my PC. After playing in lightroom for an hour I unplugged the camera and when I tried to turn it on nothing happened. Both the rear screen and the EVF are completely black. I can see the settings changing on the top LCD screen.

When I switch to video the LCD and EVF work as expected for the most part. I can see the live view, change settings and record footage but when I press the preview or menu button the screens go completely black again.

I want to try a factory reset but as far as I can tell this is only possible through the menu, which I can't access. Has anyone experienced anything like this or do you know of a way of resetting without using the menu? As far as I can tell I don't have access to the cmos battery.

Here is a video of the problem: https://youtu.be/J-PCdZO53Vo

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't know anything about the EOS R, but I did see a thread on DPReview where a 6D had a rear LCD display issue and the user was able to access the menu by connecting a monitor to the HDMI Out connector.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried removing the battery for a minute and then putting it back in?

MattLaverick
Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I've just tried using a HDMI cable and whilst I was able to view the menu and reset the camera, the problem persists
I left the battery and SD card out over night with the power switch set to 'On' but as soon as it was reinserted I had the same issuez

Trevquinn
Apprentice

I know this is an old thread but did you ever find a solution to this as this started to happen my EOS R today. My camera is 13 monnths old. At first I thought it was because I was out in wet weather and something had happened but then this is a weather sealed camera and I was using the RF24-105 F4L which is a weather sealed lens. Have been out in wet weather with it plenty of times before.

It is wrecking my head and it is exactly as yours is. Will work for video but not photos and cannot access any menus. I did a firmware refesh as was able to do that no problem but made no difference

@Trevquinn wrote:

I know this is an old thread but did you ever find a solution to this as this started to happen my EOS R today. My camera is 13 monnths old. At first I thought it was because I was out in wet weather and something had happened but then this is a weather sealed camera and I was using the RF24-105 F4L which is a weather sealed lens. Have been out in wet weather with it plenty of times before.

It is wrecking my head and it is exactly as yours is. Will work for video but not photos and cannot access any menus. I did a firmware refesh as was able to do that no problem but made no difference

From Canon's website: "Precise design and construction help to minimize accidental penetration of dust and moisture in the rest of the camera body."

I wouldn't use the camera in anything resembling rain with that ringing endorsement.

MattLaverick
Contributor
Hi,

In the end I sent the camera to Canon and they replaced the motherboard.
It was exactly the same for me. I was out in the rain with the RF 24-105. It wasn't particularly heavy rain but I was out for a few hours. When I plugged it into my pc to retrieve the images the screen didn't work.
I can only assume there is a problem with the weather proofing.

@MattLaverick wrote:
Hi,

In the end I sent the camera to Canon and they replaced the motherboard.
It was exactly the same for me. I was out in the rain with the RF 24-105. It wasn't particularly heavy rain but I was out for a few hours. When I plugged it into my pc to retrieve the images the screen didn't work.
I can only assume there is a problem with the weather proofing.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will be getting on to them tomorrow so and see what they say. Mine started to have the problem when I was out shooting and would work sometimes for a few shots again when I switched it off and on again. But now just the screen flases onfor a second in photo mode and thats it. Its very odd that it still works in video mode, you would think if it was a motherboard issue that none of it would work. Anyway thanks for the help

MattLaverick
Contributor
Yes, I agree it definitely sounds like a software issue to me. I've just checked my invoice and it says they "repaired TFT display circuit"
I'm in the UK and the total cost was just over £123

https://bit.ly/2MlkC7Z

@MattLaverick wrote:
Yes, I agree it definitely sounds like a software issue to me. I've just checked my invoice and it says they "repaired TFT display circuit"
I'm in the UK and the total cost was just over £123

https://bit.ly/2MlkC7Z

Oh well that makes me feel a little bit better as I was thinking it was going to cost a fortune to get fixed. Should be covered under the EU 2 year warranty but bet it won't. I am in Ireland so it will probably be sent to the UK to be fixed anyway. Don't think Canon have a repair center here.

Announcements