Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 70D white line on photos

Jule
Contributor

5C4065E5-3BED-49ED-904D-212F6EEE815C.jpeg

DE8C71BE-0862-41E6-B8A7-47132E520000.jpeg

My Canon EOS 70D started having a white line on almost every picture that I take. If there is less sun, the line is not as bright. And at night there is no line, even if there are bright lights (like from a concert).

If I turn the camera the line turns with it. 

Could it be that the shutter is broken? But normally a broken shutter shows black lines or black pictures, right?

I hope someone knows what it could be and how much would it cost to get it fixed.

5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

That is a typical result of a failed shutter, one of the blades is sticking resulting in part of the image being over-exposed.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Repair possible? Curious.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

John,

Proper repair would be a new shutter assembly.  It might have a bit of debris stuck to a shutter blade causing the issue but even removing the offending contaminant wouldn't result in a shutter I would trust after this failure.  So it needs to go to Canon (or a third party shop if Canon no longer services the 70D) for a new shutter assembly.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I agree the shutter has failed but I don't think repair is a good option. A replacement shutter and labor will likely come very close to or exceed the value of a 70D. Perhaps a good chance for that upgrade to a mirrorless current model.

At any rate before repair get an estimate.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your help. Oh man, that’s what I thought. That it will probably be too expensive to fix. 
Now my camera also shows ‘error 20 A malfunction with the mechanical mechanism has been detected’ 

I will get in touch with Canon, if they are still able to replace a shutter and and if they can tell me an estimate.

Announcements