cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Canon EOS r100, I am a beginner, I was gifted the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6mm lens, what adapter?

Derangedartist
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a Canon EOS r100, I am a beginner, I was gifted the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6mm lens. I was wondering what adapter do I need to purchase? I know the lens has some bad reviews but as I didn’t pay for it I think it will be fine for my first telephoto lens! Also if anyone has any recommendations for some settings with this lens for some different photos to try or settings that gave you good results with this lens that  I could try I would really appreciate it! Thank you for any help or recommendations in advanced! Even if you have articles or videos to recommend me I would really appreciate it!

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need the Canon EF to RF adapter.

You can get a refurbished one for $80

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-mount-adapter-ef-eos-r

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

As my respected colleague, Keith, explained you need the EF-RF Canon adapter.  Avoid third-party ones, they have issues.

The 75-300 is a slow lens, so you want to keep a reasonably open aperture because it does not have image stabilization to help stop camera movement when hand-holding it.  For that reason, how you hold the camera is critical.  If you are used to a cell phone you have been holding the phone in front of you to look at the LCD, but a camera is much heavier and with longer focal lenses, any tiny movement by you will be significantly magnified and result in blurry images, so holding the camera with the viewfinder to your eye is critical, to help create a tripod effect between the camera supported at your eye, and an arm tucked into your torso at each side.
Work with the diagrams below to cradle the camera with your left hand, heel under the camera body and fingers under and around the base of the lens.  The left hand should take the weight of the camera and lens, leaving the right hand to manipulate the controls.

Holding a Camera.png

Initially, you can use the P and Auto+ modes, but take control away from the camera, and use creative modes like Av and Tv, or even M, you need to learn about the 'holy trinity' of exposure control: Shutter Speed, ISO and Aperture.  The combination of all three will get you a correctly exposed image, but each one has a profound impact on the creative side of the resultant image.  So, you should get some training under your belt.

The second thing you need to master is the actual control system of the camera itself - the better you know it, the more it does not get in your way and the more creative you can be.  To that end, I recommend downloading the PDF copy of the Advanced User Guide from: c015.pdf (start.canon)

To get you started on the principles of photography, I recommend the following:
Learn Photography - Simple, Practical - Free Photography Course 1/10 (youtube.com)
and the following series of guides from Canon Canon EOS 101: Photo and Videography Basics | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

To help you get to know your controls, watch this video:
Canon EOS R100 User's Guide (youtube.com)
Canon R100 Tutorial - Complete Beginner Guide (youtube.com)

Getting to grips with photography with a dedicated camera will take time and patience, but you will be rewarded with an ability to really have creative control and great images.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements