cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 5DS R shutter sound

klyhthwy
Apprentice

I recently purchased a new 5DS R camera. The shutter sounds louder than I expected. It almost sounds like it is winding film; like a motor is driving. Maybe this is normal, but I am not familiar with this model or similiar models and how their shutters sound. Does anyone else have insight into if this is normal for this camera? Is it maybe the mirror moving back into position? All the other digital camera shutters I've heard are just mechanical clicking sounds but I have never noticed a sound like a small motor drive.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
I have a 5DsR and tried all three shutter modes. At no time do I hear something that sounds like a winder. I would go to the shop (if possible) and see if they can use another 5DsR and compare it to your unit.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I agree with Trevor that it would be best to take it back to the shop or at least compare it to another 5D series from Canon so that you know how others in that line sound.

I have a 5DS and a 5DS R and I am not hearing anything like you describe.  They are what I would consider normal camera shutter sounds and are significantly quieter than my 1DX series bodies.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
I have a 5DsR and tried all three shutter modes. At no time do I hear something that sounds like a winder. I would go to the shop (if possible) and see if they can use another 5DsR and compare it to your unit.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I agree with Trevor that it would be best to take it back to the shop or at least compare it to another 5D series from Canon so that you know how others in that line sound.

I have a 5DS and a 5DS R and I am not hearing anything like you describe.  They are what I would consider normal camera shutter sounds and are significantly quieter than my 1DX series bodies.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

klyhthwy
Apprentice
Thank you both. I am certain there is something wrong causing it to not actuate smoothly. About how many shots do you get on a single battery? I wonder if it is running the battery harder as well.

I use a battery grip with dual batteries because I am used to having duplicate controls for both landscape and portrait orientation from my other camera bodies so battery life is essentially doubled with that setup.  I try not to run the battery down below 1/4 and I think about 1,200 was the most shots I have gone between battery changes but it could go further.

I don't use live view and I have image review set so that it doesn't automatically show the image after capture so I get good battery life out of my cameras.  It sometimes seems short to me but I primarily do sports shooting with my 1DX series bodies and I have gone past 5,000 captures with the 1DX III on a single battery.

One difference I noted with the 5DS series compared to my 1 series cameras is leaving the power switch on does seem to result in fairly rapid battery drain even when the camera is not in use.  A few times I have forgotten to turn the 5DS bodies off and after a week sitting in my camera bag that seems to deplete the batteries.  When the 1 series bodies go to sleep, battery drain is extremely low and they will sit for weeks sleeping in their bag and still be ready for use. 

Rodger

klyhthwy
Apprentice
Thanks Rodger

This is my first Canon digital camera. I have used film mostly until now. I am disappointed that my camera seems to have this seemingly small issue. Do you know if Canon will support this and either fix the issue or replace the body? Should be under warranty, right?

Hi again:

If your camera was purchased new from an authorized dealer then it should be covered by your warranty.
Like Rodger, I use a battery grip with mine and have never exhausted even one battery over a fairly long period of use - although I take the batteries out between uses.

cheers, TREVOR

If it is new, it definitely should be under warranty but you might want to have the retailer exchange it.  Canon USA service is excellent,  You can register your camera and fill out a repair request online:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

I think you will like the 5DS R body.  I started in film with a Canon AE-1 and later used an EOS 650 before switching to digital with a 1D Mark II in 2005. 

Rodger

Definitely agree with Rodger. The 5DsR is an excellent camera, for the purposes for which it was created. At 52MP you are getting a massive amount of pixels, but it will show any flaws in optics or technique! I actually use if for landscape and wildlife and it does a great job - solid as a rock.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements