cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon DSLR EOS Rebel SL2 ( LCD Screen is super dark/black on brightest setting )

JosiahPasta
Apprentice

Hello canon community, 

I was taking my camera ( Canon DSLR EOS Rebel SL2 ) out the other day and noticed the screen was black when I turned the camera on. I then proceeded to go through the buttons starting with the "camera shutter/LCD button" and pressing them in a controlled order to see if maybe something was turned off or stuck. I tried to run through the different menu settings but no visibility of menu on LCD screen. I removed the lense to see if something was stuck, but everything looked and worked fine. I tried all of the other suggestions I could find online ( repeatedly pressing info, changing batteries, cards, plugging and unplugging from all connection ports "HDMI & Data", ) and others in these forums and no luck.

I took my camera outside and noticed I could very dimly see the menu on the screen as if looking at a "negative" through the light. it was just enough visibility to navigate through the menu and change the "LCD Brightness" to full bright..... which helped a little. But, not much. 

Viewing LCD Screen is now like looking through a "Negative Film" and is very dim. 

What could be my Issue here? TIA

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

When you are able to see the LCD go to the yellow wrench menu setting page 4 and select clear all settings and clear all custom functions.

If that doesn't resolve your issue you should contact Canon about repair options.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I was able to reach that menu and clear all settings; the only noticeable change is the brightness went down again. Was able to use the suns reflection to navigate back to 2nd menu and turn the brightness back up. 
Still seems to be the same issue.

Contact Canon. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You might be able to get a better view to do what jrhoffman suggests if you plug an HDMI cable from the camera to a TV or monitor. It sounds like an LCD issue and the HDMI signal might still work.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Canon support number 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements