cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D auto focus setting for Canon 100-400mm IS ii lens

AdoNetok
Enthusiast

I just updated lens from Canon 400mm prime to Canon 100-400mm IS ii lens.

I use Canon 90D and AI Servo AF, single point focus.

Using Stabilization mode 3 for Canon 100-400mm IS ii lens.

After a week test, the photos I took are sharper then old lens but still not great.

I want to update customer function settings for auto focus. (C. Fn II).

Can experts help me set up?

17 REPLIES 17

With all of you help, today I use One shot and single point for AF. 

It seems to me that photos are better.

Please check the photo was uploaded.20230611OaklandLake3435.jpg

@AdoNetok wrote:

With all of you help, today I use One shot and single point for AF. 

It seems to me that photos are better.

Please check the photo was uploaded.20230611OaklandLake3435.jpg

Nice Shot!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

1/1000 at f/7.1, ISO 640, 400 mm

@ebiggs1 wrote:

AdoNetok you need to remember Ai-Servo shoots whether it achieves focus or not. One Shot on the other hand will not fire until focus is achieved and locked. For birds One Shot and just the center focus point which is put precisely on your intended subject will usually yield the best results.

Sorry, but that is not correct.  Beginning with the AF system in the 7D2 you can set the Image Priority for AI Servo mode when using Continuous Drive shooting modes.

You can force the camera to not fire the shutter until it has an AF lock on a subject in AI Servo.  There are two settings.  One for the first shot in a burst.  And one setting for subsequent shots in a burst.  They are called 1st Image Priority and 2nd Image Priority. 

This may reduce your frame rate slightly or even significantly depending upon your shooting conditions.  It is not a bad trade-off, number of keepers vs total number of shots.  I’d rather have 5-8 shots per second in focus than 3 to 5 shots out of 10 per second that are in focus.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Looks good my friend! 😁

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Sorry, but that is not correct."

No it isn't. AI-Servo isn’t flawless, if the subject is moving quickly, the focus will lag behind and you’ll end up with slightly out-of-focus images.  If the subject moves out from your autofocus point the AF will focus on the background instead. Some people like it.  I don't perhaps you do and that's fine. Using One shot you know exactly what is in focus. I consider any Ai-servo mode to be an advanced method and should be tried and experimented with after a full understanding of your camera.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Sorry, but that is not correct."

No it isn't. AI-Servo isn’t flawless, if the subject is moving quickly, the focus will lag behind and you’ll end up with slightly out-of-focus images.  If the subject moves out from your autofocus point the AF will focus on the background instead. Some people like it.  I don't perhaps you do and that's fine. Using One shot you know exactly what is in focus. I consider any Ai-servo mode to be an advanced method and should be tried and experimented with after a full understanding of your camera.

I do not experience the issues that you have described.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I do not experience the issues that you have described."

That's great! This mode screws up people more than any.

EB
Announcements