cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7d Mark ii shooting with multiple exposure

Rhwalk1
Contributor

Has anybody use the multiple exposure in the canon 7d for sports?

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The phrase “multiple exposure” can mean different things to different people.  Are you referring to exposure bracketing or exposing the same image more than once?  I am guessing the latter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are videos on YouTube on capturing a double exposure with a Canon body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  the multiple exposure in the canon 7d ..."

I, too, am not fully understanding exactly what you want to do. But ............

For a double exposure; Click me! 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Continuous shooting to get multiple shots? I have done this with baseball players on the windup and release of a pitch.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

This is what i want do do.  I tried to do the multiple pictures for a pitcher and all the photos were on top of each other.  How do you do it so that you have the pitcher 4 different stages of delivery and spread out.

Could you show me a picture using this technique

@Rhwalk1 wrote:

This is what i want do do.  I tried to do the multiple pictures for a pitcher and all the photos were on top of each other.  How do you do it so that you have the pitcher 4 different stages of delivery and spread out.

This is the way I do it. Not sports, but a diving Mississippi Kite (see attached), but the technique is the same. As EB called it, you want to select a "Drive mode" following EB's instructions, or press the "Q" button and use the joystick to navigate to the drive setting and press the set button. You will have several options, but you will want "low" or "high speed". This will allow continuous shooting as long as you hold the shutter button down at up to 10fps. I would refrain from letting the 7D II process the exposures. I use DPP 4 to process or composite Raw files.

This was shot with the EOS 7D mark II and a 70-300mm L IS USM lens. I converted the Raw files, then brought them into a post editor to make this collage. I won't go into details like layering and such, but I basically made a new blank image and pasted the images I wanted to use in it.

Diving Mississippi Kites.Diving Mississippi Kites.

Now, compositing, which is what I think you did, can also be used, but to me, the above was much simpler and less time consuming. DPP 4 has a compositing tool, which is what I used for the next image using Raw files instead of letting the camera do it, but it is tedious in that you have to line the images up (which is what I did) or move them around to make a sequence, and the results are less than stellar. I did, however, manage to get an interesting image.

Dancer On The Dock.Dancer On The Dock.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Waiting for the picture. FWIW, I took photos of my grandson last night, using the Sports mode. Focus, hold down the button and take the photos.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"How do you do it so that you have the pitcher 4 different stages of delivery and spread out."

OK you made it more clear what you want. You do not want multiple exposures or double exposure. You want to use your Drive function. The 7D Mk II can shoot up to 10.0 frames per second to capture all the action. Change the Drive by pushing down on the Drive/AF Button then using the Quick Dial (thumb) move between the various modes. Select High-Speed Continuous.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements