cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

I agree this camera was praised for it's video capabilities and marketed that way.  Besides my 70D hasnt even recorded over 50+ videos.  I was able to record over 200+ youtube videos on my 60D and still goind strong.  Also I sent my camera for repair to canon and my estimated cost to get it repaired is $459.  I printed a copy of my receipt because I only had my 70D for less than a year before I ship it and I'm still being charged $459.  I even emailed "purchase@cits.canon.com" and still no response or revision of my estimated cost.

Shame on Canon

That is exactly what people think. Canon should take the responsability

For you to undestand, recording video "a lot" has nothing to do with the PCB ripping... The structure of the 60D is almost the same than the 70D, and there is a lot 60D working recording whole parties, taking hours of video in a single night. I had one 60D for 3 years and believe me I used a lot ot more then the 70D and never happend nothing like this.

Overheating is not an excuse.

tezza64
Contributor
Why? Because i never used my 70d camera for 3 months, it was only 11 month old, I always Store my camera away with no battery in it, I got it out, put fully charge battery in, went to take a photo and the PCB board Went on first photo I went to take, so its nothing to do with being hot. THATS WHY.....

@tezza64 wrote:
Why? Because i never used my 70d camera for 3 months, it was only 11 month old, I always Store my camera away with no battery in it, I got it out, put fully charge battery in, went to take a photo and the PCB board Went on first photo I went to take, so its nothing to do with being hot. THATS WHY.....

That argument is flatly wrong. When an electronic device burns out, it's usually when it's first turned on, because that's when the components are under greatest stress. But most often it's what's happened to the components during previous use that causes them to fail.

You probably won't believe me, but then I'm not an electrical engineer. And neither, obviously, are you. So go ask somebody who is.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Terry,

We'd like to welcome you to the Canon USA Community Forums!

The Canon Community is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support and insight for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

Since you're in the UK, we strongly suggest getting in touch with Canon UK for your support needs. They're at www.canon.co.uk 

While you are free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

We also ask  that you review the Forum GuidelinesKeep in mind that any post that violates the guidelines can be removed.

Stephen, when is Canon going to stop robbing their loyal customers over this?

tezza64
Contributor
Sorry i have been told i can no longer post on this site after this post, i have been told to use u.k forums has i am from the uk.. Hi Terry,

We'd like to welcome you to the Canon USA Community Forums!

The Canon Community is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support and insight for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

Since you're in the UK, we strongly suggest getting in touch with Canon UK for your support needs. They're atwww.canon.co.uk 

While you are free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

We also ask  that you review the Forum GuidelinesKeep in mind that any post that violates the guidelines can be removed.

kymuir
Apprentice

I've had my Canon 70D for less than two years. I was a full-time student and barely used the camera during the time I've had it, it probably has less than 2,000 shutters. I recently tried to turn on the camera to no avail and realized that it needed to be sent in for repairs. I just received the estimate and it says I also need a "main pcb ass'y" replaced for around $432. Is it worth the cost of replacement? The camera is in like-new condition and I've taken great care of it, is this worth arguing with them about? 

Announcements