cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D Shutter sound

LGTEC
Apprentice

Hello Everyone, 

So today I got a Canon 70D and the first thing I noticed was the shutter noise when turning on and off the camera. I never noticed this noise being so loud before on my 60D or 90D. 

Is this normal for the 70D? 

Here is a video of the noise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ya0tzvPH4
You can hear it from a few feet away. 

By the way it does this with or without a lens. 

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There should be no noise when turning the camera on and off, unless you have it in movie mode, so that the mirror flips up when it comes on.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

That is normal. That is not shutter sound. That is the auto self cleaning sensor sound. There is an option in the menu to activate sensor cleaning whenever the camera is turned on or off. The 60D and 90D probably didn't do it because it was not enabled in the menu. 

Mike Sowsun

Can you hear the self cleaning? I can't on my T6S.

I have a hard time hearing it because I am 65 and my hearing is not so good. Most younger people hear it quite easily. 

All Canon cameras with self cleaning sensors do it provided it is enabled. Some are louder than others. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I have a hard time hearing it because I am 65 and my hearing is not so good. Most younger people hear it quite easily. 

All Canon cameras with self cleaning sensors do it provided it is enabled. Some are louder than others. 

Let's disable it, and see if the noise goes away.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

_001a.jpg

Mike Sowsun

"Can you hear the self cleaning? I can't on my T6S."

I can't hear it on my 1 series camera either. I put my ear right on the back LCD screen, too! You know it does the same function when you turn it on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

LGTEC
Apprentice

Hey thanks for the replys!

if I disable the cleaning the sound goes away. I'm just surprised how loud it is vs the 70D and 90D. 

by the way both the 60D and 90D do have auto cleaning enabled. The 60D just makes a couple little sqeeks that you only hear with your ear up to it. 

I'm going to pick up another camera body today, I will see if it does the same. 

Thanks again

You have the 60D, 70D, and 90D. What's next, the 80D? 🙂

I collect old cameras too, but they are mostly EOS film cameras.  

Mike Sowsun
Announcements